Best Ground-Strafing Aircraft...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This thread is different from the tank busting thread, read what les put as the first post...the P-38 was very effective at ground strafing because of its counter rotating props, this meant the pilot could focus more on hitting the target than keeping the plane in a straight line...

I dont think the 4x 20mm and 8 rockets of the Tiffy was the best armament for ground strafing..... I have a problem with Rockets being a part of Strafing... Always thought of Straffing as using cannon and machine guns....

The Fw-190 A series with all those cannon has to be the clear winner.... .50 cals, while real nice, dont compare to the detruction of a couple of 30mm and a couple of 20mm and a couple of 13mm....

But i straffing you want to be able to hit the area and keep heads down. The P-38 as able to do that and carry some bombs or rockets to clean up any hard points. That is said about the P-47 as well, but I think it was better at close air support. But both work for me. ;)

P-47N!

It's hard to beat 8 x .50's with 500 rpg in an airframe that is tough enough to survive hits and fast enough not to get hit!

=S=

Lunatic

GermansRGeniuses said:
Best?

Oh, I'll tell you the best...

The Fw-190 A-6/R1.

The two 7.92mm in the cowl, and SIX 20mm guns in and under the wings.

:shock:

MG151/20's were not well suited to strafing. Too short a range. Not a bad armament, but you'd have to get in too close before you start firing, and the number of rounds in all but the wing root guns are insufficient.

=S=

Lunatic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back