Best Ground-Strafing Aircraft...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i'm sticking with the tiffy............

and how can a bi-plane be a better gun platform?? most bi-plane wings couldn't even take the straign of a .303mg...............

cheddar cheese said:
P-38J:
1x 20mm, 4x .50cal

On model of the P-38 - I think it was the P-38L - had 2 .50cal gunpods on the wings which I believe were used for Strafing. If so, then this model gets my vote.

Oh, you mean like this? ;)

That's it, bask in the P-38-ness...

Although I'd rather have PF...

Attachments

• the_crash_of_lightning....jpg
    729.1 KB · Views: 505
  • lightning_strikes_.jpg
    729.1 KB · Views: 491
The DH Mosquito, also capable of 8x Rockets [and bombs as well], has a long and successful Operational history of Ground Attack sorties, in it's numerous variants...

Also the Bristol Beaufighter had a significant career in this type of role... Both these aircraft were used extensively by the Allies in most theatres, the twin-engine 'safety factor' a sound principle for their use...the Beau becoming known as the 'Whispering Death' because of it's unique sound, but also it's stealth and focus on Ground-attack against Troops and Ground forces...

The cumulative Firepower of their extensive armaments, their good range, radar, manoevrabilty, and in the case of the Mossie, speed, has to be a clear recommendation of their competence in Ground-attack...

These considerations, plus the two crew, make any advantages single-engined, or single-crew aircraft, may have in short missions or their comparative effectiveness on long missions...

The Mossie and Beau had a good reputation for their ability to take 'damage', and whether they were on 'roving' or long-range pin-point targets, they made notable destruction to those they were tasked against.....

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._758.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._758.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 478
Ah, but I've gotten better!

I can now do fairly accurate lead shots!

Still can't turn inside a Zero with the P-38, though - even with speed advantage, combat flaps, and airbrakes...

Keep trying to turn inside an A6M wit a P-38L or J would give you the best chance.

As for the Baeu, the Japanese nammed it "Wispering Death" yes for the queite engines and it was one hell of a gun platform.

Me, B-25J no 75mm gun more .50s. If you count rockets on the Mitchell you should with the other platforms as well.

P-61 and P-38, both had the guns and rockest to deal with anything and even the fighters :)

b-26 -lowest combat loss. Also look at the Japanese Ki-43? and a few others. There fighters were the better side but they could hit the ground well.

Yesh.

At least during the Battle of the Bulge, not sure about the PTO...

They managed to shoot down a few Stukas, Hs-123's, and Cr.42's...

(The Luftwaffe used these last two aircraft as night harrassment aircraft, kinda like the U-2's in the Korean War, as they were obsolete and not suited for much else...)

In the PTO the P-61 did a lot of night intrusion, interdiction, and anti-shipping work. Over the Pacific the P-61 did not have a lot of night aircraft targets, but the shipping, and trans were very good targets. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back