Best Helicopter

Discussion in 'Modern' started by DerAdlerIstGelandet, Jan 25, 2005.

?

What is the best Helicopter?

1. UH-60L Blackhawk

16.2%
  2. AH-64D Apache

14.7%
  3. CH-47 Chinook

5.9%
  4. UH-1H (or above) Huey

22.1%
  5. Mi-24 Hind

16.2%
  6. OH-53 Kiowa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Mi-8

5.9%
  8. Westland Lynx

8.8%
  9. AH-1 Cobra

8.8%
  10. CH-53E SuperStallion

1.5%
  1. DerAdlerIstGelandet

DerAdlerIstGelandet Der Crew Chief
    Staff Member Moderator

A&P - Aircraft Technician
    Well obviously my fav is the UH-60L Blackhawk because I fly it everyday but what about you guys, what do you think is the best Helicopter? Here are some pics that I have taken of Helicopters here in Iraq. There are also many more helos that I could have put in the poll but I think it was a good start and could get it going.

UH-60L Blackhawk

Attached Files:

2. plan_D

plan_D Active Member

It really should be called favourite helicopter, don't you think? I'm voting Chinook because my dad kept them running for years and was one of the first RAF electricians trained on them.

3. DerAdlerIstGelandet

Staff Member Moderator

The Chinook is a great aircraft, it is the fastest helicopter we have in our army.

4. plan_D

plan_D Active Member

It is a great aircraft, and extremely fast for its size. It's been the work horse of many countries arms, for a long time.

5. DerAdlerIstGelandet

Staff Member Moderator

It is a great helo. I am not too fond of them though. I flew on one to go home for my 2 weeks of leave from Iraq and the whole flight it felt like it wanted to have a mid air collision with itself and the engine exhaust came up the back and filling the cabin and it leaked hydraulic fluid on my head the whole flight. If it is not leaking in 7 spots you dont fly it though.

6. mosquitoman

mosquitoman Active Member

student
    Home Page:
    I went for the Huey, simply because it was the first combat helicopter to be built, if it wasn't for the Huey we wouldn't have the choppers we have today

7. DerAdlerIstGelandet

Staff Member Moderator

Great choice. It is a great Helo and that is why our Marines still use it today the UH-1N. I lived around the Huey for all of my life. I used to go in when ever my dad went flying just to watch him take off. My first flight in a helicopter was a huey also. They are bringing back life into the Huey again now working on 2 new varients and might even be making a new version for the Army's light utility helicopter program. But it is basically a brand new aircraft not like the old UH-1H's that were made famouse.

The UH-1Y has already been chosen by the Marines for there replacement for the UH-1N.

Bell who designs and builds the Huey also is the maker of the AH-1 Cobra and the next varient of the Cobra is already in the works for the Marines it is called the AH-1Z.

T

Attached Files:

8. plan_D

plan_D Active Member

Chinooks are good mine clearers too. :lol: Just kiddin' but my dad says when in the Gulf they came home with mine bits peppered in the bottom because the down draft set loads of mines off.

Those are some great pictures, adler. I love the Cobra, it's sleek and mean.

[​IMG]

I also like this, RAH-66 Commanche, it's sad that they're giving up on it...or so they tell us.

9. DerAdlerIstGelandet

Staff Member Moderator

No you are correct the Army gave up on the Comanche. They decided to stay with the AH-64D Longbow, basically because it was cheaper.

Speaking of mines though. We have an interesting mod that we can attach to our Blackhawks. We only have a couple of them in our unit, my aircraft happens to be one of them. It is called the Volcano System and it dispenses mines. This basically converts the Blackhawk into a mine field layer. I dont know too much about the system because I have never actually used it and have only seen it installed once. All I know is that carries 950 Gator anit personell mines or anti vehical mines. Still it is a pretty quick way to lay mine fields if you had to.

Here are some interesting pics I took today of an AH-64A Apache at my camp in Iraq. It is unusual in that it is painted grey. Grey is better then the standard Green because it allows the aircraft to blend into the horizon better. Virtually every nation paints there aircraft grey inluding our Airforce, Navy, and Marines. We tried to get our Blackhawks painted Gray before we left Germany but it did not happen. Too bad I think it would have looked pretty sweet.

Attached Files:

10. DaveB.inVa

DaveB.inVa Member

Electrical Engineer
    I think Ive seen the mine dispenser your talking about. It looks like a rack of tubes mounted to the side of the helicopter.

I've got a cousin who served as a Blackhawk pilot through the 80's and into the 1st Gulf War. Hes a really cool guy and I've learned a lot about the Blackhawk. I know his first ride though was a Huey, don't know how long he was in it though.

I really like the Chinook too, that things a horse!

11. HealzDevo

HealzDevo Active Member

Self-Employed
    I don't think it was just because it was cheaper that the Comanche was ditched. The Comanche was having major problems in coming online when the AH-64D Apache is technology they already have that works 100% and does the job well. By the way nice photos of the A model, which isn't quite as good as the D model in terms of strike-power and ability.

12. HealzDevo

HealzDevo Active Member

Self-Employed
    The Commanche so I was hearing did have some major problems with weapons load-out, systems and airframe. While these could eventually have been solved, it was considered, best in the absence of a major threat, to stick with a proven helicopter that was a good multi-role helicopter and could do its tasks well, rather than go with a not so good stealth helicopter that was a tad overrated at the moment in terms of price. In short the US Army and others decided to cut their losses and stick with a proven system.

13. plan_D

plan_D Active Member

The Apache looks sweet in grey, it looks even better in grey than green. Your Blackhawk would just look like a USN Seahawk if it were grey, surely.

[​IMG]

The Lynx is the fastest helicopter in the world. It's only because the Chinook slung it. :lol:

14. DerAdlerIstGelandet

Staff Member Moderator

Which basically comes down to cost. The Comanche had problems just like every advanced aircraft does in its development stage, but the costs to get it online were too great.

The Longbow is really just an interem solution. An AH-64A has the same capability as the Longbow when it is accompanied with a OH-58D Kiowa Warrior. There are many problems with the Longbow. Our sister unit is an Apache unit and has Longbows and A models. The A models are able to fly more often because the Lonbows are always down for maintenance or broken. They have major electrical problems. The Lonbow takes twice as long to get its systems on line as the A model and the A model took 15 minutes! Atleast twice a week I have to fly out and rescue a broken Apache. For every hour that a Longbow flies it requires 8 hours of maintenance. Once there aircraft is in the air I would not want to mess with it, it is a great attack helicopter and the best of its kind but it has to get in the air first. It is like the first Apache Airstrike of Operation Iraqi Freedom, was a complete failure. They did not achieve there objective, 2 were shot down and all returned with major repairs required and riddled with holes. It is a very fragile aircraft, and that is one of many reasons why the 160th "NightStalkers" Special Operations Aviation Regiment will not use the Apache and uses Blackhawks with Hellfires and Mini Guns as well as OH-6 Little Birds and Chinooks.

15. DerAdlerIstGelandet

Staff Member Moderator

You are right but I still wish they had repainted ours grey for survivability and because compared the green it would look like something new even if it would like like a Seahawk with modifications.

16. plan_D

plan_D Active Member

Oh, those AH-6 Little Birds are mean little ones. OH-6 is the Cayuse, ain't it?

17. DerAdlerIstGelandet

Staff Member Moderator

Yeap sure is, Cayuse but everyone calls them Little Birds. I have some more pics that I found on my computer. I will post them tomorrow because I need to get to bed, ive got a real early show tomorrow.

18. DerAdlerIstGelandet

Staff Member Moderator

Okay here are some pics that I thought were pretty good. These were taken on my deployment to Kosovo.

19. evangilder

evangilder "Shooter"
    Staff Member Administrator

Network Engineer/Photographer
    Home Page:
    Great shots! From the cold of Bosnia to the heat of Iraq. Man, you have had some temperature changes!

20. DerAdlerIstGelandet

Staff Member Moderator

Yeah sure did. I enjoyed Kosovo though, it was terrible to see what had happened there but just being able to work so closely with aviation units from foriegn countries especially the British, Germans, Italians, and Greek was really neat. I met a lot of great people and still have contacts with them and it was a great experience and one that I will not forget.