Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Me-163

• Yokosuka Ohka

• P-80

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you get the idea that you can't break the sound barrier if you're not making any sound? That's just silly. Bullets don't make any sound (of their own)and they don't seem to have much trouble going 3 or 4 times Mach.And where did the bit about the Spitfire airframe being able to stand supersonic speed come from? You guys need to research your facts a little better.

No, he said that you don't hear the Sonic Boom. He said nothing about it not being able to break the sound barrier, you need to read better. And bullets don't go Mach 3-4 they go about Mach 1.1 just over the speed of sound, maybe you should research better.

I said the Spitfire couldn't because of the props, I never said anything about the Spitfire airframe being able to do so. But since they tested the Spitfire to try and break the sound barrier, I imagine they also thought it to be possible.

But with that, I've been informed that you still do hear a sonic boom. A gathering of sources is required... :D

fly to aout 15000ft and go down till you get over the speed of sound oh and a bullet travlles at mach2.2 so you are both rong

The speed of a bullet does depend on the gun, but there is little change in statistic terms, but it makes a lot of difference when it hits something. Also the size of round affects the speed, a 5.56mm round goes faster than a 7.62mm round for example.
Even with that most bullets go around, and above Mach 1, but only just. Depending on your altitude it changes what speed (mph or km/h) Mach 1 is, but it is still refered to as Mach 1 even if at sea level it is 760 mph but at 20,000 ft it is 730 mph (not the real figure).

i said it's tecnicaly impossible, you can go faster then the speed of sound if you're not making any sound, but you can't break the sound barrier, i hope that clears things up.........

Well, I did some numbers crunching and 3,000 fps (a not unatainable speed for a rifle bullet) translates to somewhere around Mach 3 (depending on altitude).

it always changes at different altitudes, the speed of light doesn't however........................

Yes, the speed of sound does change at altitudes, the speed of light also changes but not with altitude (or not that I know of). The speed of a bullet at sea level goes about Mach 1.
If a person is like a mile away, shoots, and you see the flash you can avoid it (You have to be quick though, I wouldn't advise trying :lol: ). At Mach 3, you couldn't.

At low altitude, a 3000fps bullet would be Mach 2.7. Which is still really fast. And according to Einstein, the speed of light is the only true constant in the universe.

Never did Physics? Refraction ring a bell? Shine a beam of light through glass, it refracts because it slows.

Actually I did a lot of physics. But you are right. But that is a change caused by medium rather than altitude. I believe that Einstein was refering to light in a vacuum but I'm mostly guessing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back