Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Me-163

• Yokosuka Ohka

• P-80

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you .............but since you live in the UK you have the prime oppourtunity to check on and with your local museums to seek out living RAF veterans if this is your interest. You maybe surprised when they roll out a Lanc or another of the RAF's finest and see whom may show up. Take the books, and notepad in hand and take copius notes...........many a friendship has started up this way.....

two cents of thought for ya

E ~

I just might do that. I don't really visit museums often though, I'll have to next time I go though. :D

I know a couple of gentlemen who served on B-24s. One was a navigator in the 15th, wounded by flak. The other was a flight engineer/ top gunner in the Pacific. His plane made a 600 mile trip back to base minus the tail turret. I've got a copy of his memoirs around here somewhere.

LG is he still alive and kicking ? if so grab him and finish up any type of interview that is in the back of your mind. these vets are falling to fast and that portion of history is lost forever............

v/r

E ~

Erich said:
vielen Dank GrG. bist du Deutsch ?

I am aware of an American aces group that meets in southern California about twice a year, but not the German vets group. Could you send me a private on this bitte ?

I live in southern Oregon actually.

Are you familiar with the Me 262 recon a/c on display at Chino airprot, California. About two years ago friend Hans Busch had a mini seminar in his time with KG 51 and his bombing days flying the Me 262A-2. About 350 of us were present an drooled over the wonderful 262 as it was pulled out of it's narrow waiting area onto the Tarmac. On the other side of the barrier wall sat 3 gorgeous P-51's and across the field was a wonderful B-25. A great time especially after the attendance left and around 5pm Hans got a chance to sit in the cockpit of the Chino warbird and gave us (about 6 of us) a full flight description and ready to take off just like 60 years ago all in Deutsch. Great to relive the past............well almost.

thanks for the greetings

Erich ~
I CANT REMEMBER WHAT VIELEN DANK MEANS!!!! IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!
Anywho, nein, ich bin Hollandisch und Brazilianisch. I didnt know about that reunion group, could you send me a pm on that? About the vet's club, my mom told me, and she got it from #411 or operator and thats not always reliable. I've searched online and have found nothing out. I guess I'll just have to loiter around the doors someday soon.

Guten Abend.

many thanks is the translation. there is a group of US vets that meets at Chino annually. One of the largest groups is the all black Tuskegee airmen of the 15th US air force. Great guys I would love to meet.
Call up the Chino airport for dates and times. Gnerally at least once a year there is a meeting of US veterans/ air force in northern California and also in southern California. Will have to look for the information but I do think there is a web site associated with web-birds.com

could be wrong on that

As long as the German stays simple, I'll be able to understand as well. I've written off to the RAF records on the operational history of my Great-Uncle, he is still alive but I don't know where he is. None of my family does because they never used to get along, typical. Anyway, thankfully my Grandmother had his service number, with my Grandads.

Hmm, a bit late, I am. I went for the Arado - the most successful of all the types up there in its intended role - it was all but invulnerable on operations. By way of comparison the Meteor only really proved much use as a V1 catcher (until the F.III very late on), and the '262 had a very stop-start career, sometimes savaging American raiding forces, sometimes being knocked out without landing a blow themselves.

I believe the 262 was considerably more successful than the Arado in it's intended role. For that matter, the 262 was probably a better bomber than the Arado.

I don't think the Arado was crap as a bomber at all! It was used more often as a recce plane because it was the only type that could get through and take the photos. When they were occasionally used as bombers they did as well as could be expected under the circumstances they were forced to fly in. In fact small groups of Arado 234s in service with KG76 were flying small, 6-8 aircraft raids on areas such as railyards and factory facilities as early as 23rd December 1944, and were achieving what would have been, in any other circumstances, notable results, with the only loss in the first spate of attacks being one Arado forced to crash land at its base due to damage done by a Tempest in a fleeting head-on attack.
The Me 262A-2 Sturmvogel was notoriously useless and innaccurate as a bomber, partly due to the altitude restrictions placed upon it and partly for want of a bombsight. If you read up on it you'll find countless reports that the Allies didn't even notice that the '262s were at work most of the time, and that even if they did the '262s did hardly any material damage to the Allies whatsoever.

ah but you are not speaking of the Soviets friend. the 262's flying out of Czechslovakia both had to endure the pressures of the western and Easterna allies and were drawn thin. the 262 units taking part in both bomber intercepts as well as ground attack/bombing missions. this from former Pilot of KG 51, Hans Busch. And yes the units jets were effective, it is just they were dog meat in the air vs US P-51's making long range flights.

E ~

Yes, but the Arados were more effective as bombers, no?

That was my point - that they were more successful as bombers than '262s were as fighters - even though their exploits were less spectacular at a time when fighters were more important to the Luftwaffe. The '262's successes and failures are very well known because it's such a well known aircraft, the Arados didn't have any failures (that I can think of), and were very good at their jobs.

The Meteor being only good for V1 interception isn't really fair, had it been delivered to continental Europe squadrons it would have been an asset to the fighter command.
The Arado may have been good, but a bit worthless in the Luftwaffes, and German situation. The 262 was more useful to Germany, and therefore more effective.

Arado's were shot down just like any other German a/c. I have the first hand docs to prove that. The Arado was best suited as a recon a/c and second as a bomber. Still as the 262 eninge failures were ever present. I do feel though that the 262 has been given the lime-light due to the fighter vs fighter and bomber ops and much has been written on the Schwalbe do to this.

we will never really know. the Me 262 fighter was to take on US and RAF heavy bombers. The K-4 was to be a fighter pure and simple as was the TAnk which was to be the high altitude counterpart of the P-51H, but since the latter never occurred in aerial combat that is just supposition........

spider.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back