Best Light Bomber of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
I want to know your thoughts on the Best light bomber...I am going to say A-20 fantastic plane all around!

I would say DH Mosquito, without a shadow of a doubt. fastest piston bomber of the war and it was introduced at (or near) the start of it. Spitfire performance with a Wellington bombload. Remarkable plane.

I completely agree Waynos. The Mosquito was not only an amazing aircraft but also one of the most adaptable aircraft of the war. Any bomber who's defense was pure speed has my vote

If your going to pick the Mosquito, then I'll pick the Corsair. It could carry the same payload as the Mosquito and is 40-60 mph faster and has a higher ceiling (depending on variant to variant comparision).

And once the bombs are dropped, I'll take the Corsair in a dogfight anyday.

But could the Corsair go anywhere near as far as the Mossie with a 4,000 lb load? (plus the Corsair certainly wouldn't be carrying a cookie)

Well, on the Medium bomber thread they said it was a medium bomber and now here its a light bomber...I realize it is multi role but it can be a mediuma and light bomber

It wasn't a medium bomber, it was a light bomber that carried the load of a medium bomber. Have you ever compared the size of a Mosquito with a Wellington for example?

What the Russian Pe-2 in comparison?

Attachments

• pe_2_attacking.jpg
    pe_2_attacking.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 205
  • pe2_03.jpg
    pe2_03.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 368
Well the A-20 was the first bomber the Eighth Air Force had, and it did it's job well.

But the Mossie probably did more for the war effort, and was better able to take care of itself from fighters.

What is a light bomber anyway?

There's heavy bombers... more or less obvious what a heavy bomber is. The lighter you get from then the more blurry the picture. What is your criteria? Bombload? Defensive armament? Structural strength? A mix?

I always considered the Mosquito a medium fast-bomber, not a light one.

mosquito surely it's a good bomber but if in raf inventory the wellington are the medium, and i don't think there is doubt on this, we must classifed the mosquito the light.

I'm stuck between the A-20 and the A-26. I like the A-20 for its sterling service, as well as being one of the first "gunships" in the air. The A-26 just refined the A-20, but it also was great at what it did. What about the PV-2 or PV-3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back