Best Light Bomber of WWII (1 Viewer)

I'm stuck between the A-20 and the A-26. I like the A-20 for its sterling service, as well as being one of the first "gunships" in the air. The A-26 just refined the A-20, but it also was great at what it did. What about the PV-2 or PV-3?

I agree with you about the A-20 / A-26. I personally like the A-20 better. It would have been interesting if they would have put turbosuperchargers on the P-70 version. It may have been a contending night fighter.

AFAIK, the PV-2 and PV-3 were a little on the slow side but pretty maneuverable.
 
They would have to switch to R-2800's as the R-2600 was found impractical to turbocharge. 2-stage supercharged (ie Corsair) R-2800's would be an interesting consideration as well.
 
it did....everyone said they liked it as a Medium bomber on the Medium bomber thread
 
I think the criteria would be a combination of maximum bombload (ie short range missions) and the maximum range with a "useful" bombload.

The thing with the mossie is that it was a "light bomber" (in terms of size, weight, and wing area) but operated at medium bomber spec. (in terms of bombload and range)
 
I think the criteria would be a combination of maximum bombload (ie short range missions) and the maximum range with a "useful" bombload.

The thing with the mossie is that it was a "light bomber" (in terms of size, weight, and wing area) but operated at medium bomber spec. (in terms of bombload and range)

the mossie was benifited in usefull load because no weapons and only 2 crew, (so more weight for fuel) the bombload it's good/regular for a light bomber (4*227 kg) with eadditional possiblity of load a 1814 kg bomb
 
What was the job of the Second crewmen on the Mossie?
 
In terms of classification, I have read before that the UK and USA classified their bombers differently and this may be the root of our misunderstandings. While the USA classification was based around payload and range, in the UK it was basically the size of the aircraft in relation to its contemporaries, eg Mossie = light, Wellingtom = medium, Lancaster = heavy. So it works either way depending on your standpoint.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back