Best looking WW2 fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Would agree that the G is the best looking of the 109s. I have heard/ read alot of people say they find them un attractive because of the bulges etc. But ive always thought they were by far the best looking.

The bulges are one of the reasons I like them. I just think the G and K look like "war birds" and not some pretty lil racer, and that is why I think they are the best looking. Especially from the front.

Honorable Mention: Fiat G.56. They only made ONE, but it "fixed" most of the Bf 109's shortcommings.

https://www.artscale.eu/out/pictures/z1/48A21771-F3C2-46D6-BDF2-9EEAABDE3A6E_sh72182.jpg

Had a decent windscreen, wide-set landing gear, actual rudder and elevator trim, and was said to fly beautifully. They needed to make a LOT more, but that's a "what if" I will not pursue.

#2: McDonnell XP-67 "Bat." It wasn't produced but it flew, and it looked quite good even if the performance numbers weren't quite up to the level of the specified-but-never-seen horsepower of the experimental engines.

http://www.lonesentry.com/images/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/xp-67-bat-experimental-plane.jpg

#1: To me, the best-looking fighter of the war was the Mitsubishi A6M5 Model 52 Zero.

https://www.flyingmag.com/resizer/M...aws.com/public/RDT3BWIZWWQIT57M4BGYR2DNEQ.jpg

Really looks like my idea of a WWII fighter. Yes, it had limited power, but the lines appeal to me. As an added bonus, I got to work on it a bit during the last overhaul.

Last edited:
I know I already mentioned the P-40 and I really do think that's one of the most iconic looks in WWII aircraft, but nuuuumannnn's mention of the P-38 reminded me of one other aircraft that should not be denied, at least in the looks department....

...The F7F...

...By God, if one R-2800 is good, then two is just that much better!...and regardless of what you think of this aircraft, you gotta admit, THAT is the American way.....of thinking.

F7F "twiggy" (my name for it) needs to put on a bit of weight in the fuselage for looks alone, if not for fuel storage, radar electronics, ordnance stores, and ammo for extended strafing runs.

Now that I think about it I think I should have included the A6m as tied fot 3rd in my pics. Not my very favorite, but close. Have always loved the simplicity and balanced proportion of its appearance.

F7F "twiggy" (my name for it) needs to put on a bit of weight in the fuselage for looks alone, if not for fuel storage, radar electronics, ordnance stores, and ammo for extended strafing runs.
I don't know man.
1200 miles range, without extra tanks. 1000 lbs. of bombs AND one of its hardpoints can carry a torpedo.
All that and its 80 mph faster than an F6F and 10 mph faster than an F8F.
I think it does just fine all on its own.
The F7F's sharp angles and slim profile reminds of the later Cobra helicopter.

Elvis

Shinden: Just because you can does not mean you should.
Do 335: Fastest plane to make no difference in the war.
These aren't SWEET lookers. Oddball standouts, but not sweet. Not "fighter aircraft at their best looks".
F7F is too skinny for "best looks" department. And not enough ammo. After Radar is added it has 4 20mm with 200 rpg. Germany is a BIG strafing target. Japan isn't much smaller.

Last edited:
F7F is too skinny for "best looks" department. And not enough ammo. After Radar is added it has 4 20mm with 200 rpg. Germany is a BIG strafing target. Japan isn't much smaller.
...and that is YOUR opinion.
I think its got some very sexy line and the dark blue paint scheme just adds a little badassery while implying a sense of "the little black dress".
It looks FAN-TASTIC. Don't you worry.

Elvis

I'd have wished the engines back a bit on the Hornet & f7f, moving the pilot a bit forward for center of balance and a clearer field of view.
(and F7F pilot wouldn't have those 4 20mm's going off right behind his ears with muzzle flash past his face).
I've thought the same (engines back, pilot forward) with the Mosquito, one of my fav planes.

Users who are viewing this thread