Best naval fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm just saying the Wildcat lacked the smooth lines of something like a Spit or a Mustang.

Well regardless of how it did or didn't look, the Bearcat would have been more than a match for anything the Japanese cared to throw at it. Did you know that a modified Bearcat held the world record for time to 10,000ft until a F-16 broke it sometime in the '80s?

Did you know that, that is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard?

The F8F held and still does hold the record for: from stand still to 10,000 ft in the quickest time for a piston engined aircraft. The Lightning (not the P-38) held the 0 - 10,000 ft for 30 years until it was beaten by the F-15 which was the first aircraft with higher thrust than weight.

eelight.jpg

lintin.jpg

Now, Lightning Guy, this is a good reason to have that name. This was one of the best fighters ever built and nothing could match it until the 70s. And it was designed in 1949.

Nothing could match the EE Lightning, those things were intercepting the Soviet 'Bears' all through the Cold War and those 'Bears' didn't exactly fly at low altitudes.

Not really since I've seen loads because my dad worked on them for years, he says they were great aircraft but a b**tard to mantain. I've heard plenty of stories about them.

Advise for anyone who ever might be working on an EE Lightning while in Cyprus or Malta (Anywhere hot for that matter), if its in its original all metal scheme watch your hands, they get hot.

it was beaten by the F-15 which was the first aircraft with higher thrust than weight.

not true, the lightening weighed just 29,000lb but produced 30,000lb of thrust...............

I'm not sure how a discussion on "best naval fighter of WWII" ended up discussing the thrust-to-weight ratio of the EE Lightning. It may have been my fault. Sorry to get this thread so off topic.

it doesn't matter, we're not spamming so it's ok, but back on topic, i think the best naval fighter would have been the carrier based shiden, but it never took off (excuse the pun)................

The EE Lightning did not, if it did it could have carried on and on up to its service ceiling without losing speed, this it could not do.

The Shiden was a great plane. But I think the A7M would have been the best the Japanese produced, but they had only built a dozen of them or so by VJ day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back