Best Pacific Fighter?

Best Pacific Fighter?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say the P-38L though the F-4U runs a very close second.

Take any major fighter/fighter bomber (WWII piston) and compare it to the P-38L. The P-38L will at a minimum be compettitive with that planes most steller feature and have at least 1 advantage the other plane does not.

For instance If I'm going to fly over jungle and ocean to a target 1,000 miles away I want that extra engine...oops the Corsairs ran out of gas!

lesofprimus said:
Performance evaluations dont lie.... The Allieds test flew it and were beyond impressed..... Sakai was a very opinionated pilot...... In everything....

One of his opinions - "The lightnings great speed, it's sensational high altitude performance and especialy its ability to dive and climb much faster than our Zero presented insuperable problems for our fliers. The P-38 flying at great height, chose when and where they wanted to fight with disastours results for our own men. The P-38 boded ill for the future and destroyed the morale of the Zero fighter pilot." web site (p-38online.com)

The P-38 was also:

The first fighter to use a tricycle landing gear.
The only American fighter in operational production status from the start to the finish of the war.
First to encounter compressibility problems.
First to demonstrate capability of a fighter flying across the North Atlantic for delivery to Europe.
Only aircraft to be equipped with irreversible power-boosted flight controls.
First fighter to fly anywhere with two torpedoes.
First fighter to demonstrate a non-stop, un-refueled range of over 3,000 miles.
First fighter to carry a 4,000 lb. bomb load in wartime conditions.
Only massed produced, single seat, twin engine fighter in World War II.

Also from p-38online.com

lesofprimus said:
Performance evaluations dont lie.... The Allieds test flew it and were beyond impressed..... Sakai was a very opinionated pilot...... In everything....

Yeah, I've read a few of his old interviews including the one that featured the part that Lunatic posted. The Zero could do no wrong, in his eyes.
It wasn't until many years after the war, when he took a ride in a P-51, that he would admit to another plane being superior.

The Zero then became his second favorite, after the Mustang. :lol:

Nonskimmer said:
lesofprimus said:

Yeah, I've read a few of his old interviews including the one that featured the part that Lunatic posted. The Zero could do no wrong, in his eyes.
It wasn't until many years after the war, when he took a ride in a P-51, that he would admit to another plane being superior.

The Zero then became his second favorite, after the Mustang. :lol:

The first portion of the quote I gave above: "On my first confrontation with the P-38, I was astonished to find an American aircraft thatcould outrun, outclimb, and out dive our Zero which we thought was the most superior fighter plane in the world".

I the web page (p-38(C.C.Jorden...)) mJorden states that in various conversations/statements with aces on both sides that the P-51 P-47s were disliked but the P-38s were "The most hated and feared aircraft"

Oh, I'm sure. But reading the various statements by the old man (Sakai), gave one the definite impression that he stubornly clung to an almost unwavering belief in the Zero.
Who could blame him, I suppose. He was credited with 64 victories in it. ;)

wmaxt said:
I say the P-38L though the F-4U runs a very close second.

Take any major fighter/fighter bomber (WWII piston) and compare it to the P-38L. The P-38L will at a minimum be compettitive with that planes most steller feature and have at least 1 advantage the other plane does not.

For instance If I'm going to fly over jungle and ocean to a target 1,000 miles away I want that extra engine...oops the Corsairs ran out of gas!

Ahhh... but the F4U could operate off carriers, something the P-38 simply could not do (they tried and it failed). The F4U was a much tougher plane, and with drop tanks it had very good patrol endurance (though maxium combat radius was still much more limited than the P-38). In general I'd say the P-38G and H were probably a better than the F4U-1a, the P-38J was probably a little better than the F4U-1d, but the F4U-4 outlcasses the P-38L slightly. But in all cases they're pretty well matched, each plane having advantages and disadvantages relative to the other.

I don't think the "advantages of 2 engines" argument holds up that well when comparing it to an R2800 powered plane. The liquid-cooled Allisons were very vulnerable to enemy fire, where the R2800's could take a licking and keep on ticking.

=S=

Lunatic

lesofprimus said:
Today..... Horse asked me the other day and I was outta town for my Moms funeral.. It was made official today.....

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Father this past May, and it was the hardest experiance of my life by far.

Take care of yourself and your family.

=S=

Lunatic

wmaxt said:
I the web page (p-38(C.C.Jorden...)) mJorden states that in various conversations/statements with aces on both sides that the P-51 P-47s were disliked but the P-38s were "The most hated and feared aircraft"

We had a Japanese member of the Fighter Ace community who posted that his father would pray before each sortie that he would not encounter Corsairs. I think it sorta mattered where and when they were stationed as to which planes were most feared/respected. And this probably had as much to do with the experiance level of the enemy pilots as the planes they flew by 1944.

=S=

Lunatic

lesofprimus said:

Often performance evaluations do lie. US post-war evaluations of Japanese planes often involve at least a few re-engineered parts to get the plane operational. On the late model Frank for instance, evidently the low-pressure fuel system was re-worked to get the plane working well enough to test its overall performance, and it turned in a speed of about 425 mph, which no Japanese tests achieved.

Also, performance evaluation figures that do not include the full text of the evaluation, just the best case figures, cover up chronic problems. The N1K1 and N1K2, and the J2M's, had serious landing gear and engine problems, which are not represented in typical performance data listings.

Seriously, if you really research it, I think you will come to the conclusion that the Ki-84 "Frank" was the best Japanese combat fighter of WWII by a noticable margin.

=S=

Lunatic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back