Best possible fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What was the ceiling on the Ju-86P? It must have been high because Spitfire VI and VII were intercepting them at heights of 45,000 - 50,000 feet.

That's not actually that good, I expected it to be better. :rolleyes:

The Ju-86P and R's alltitude was really good for when they first came out but were quickly overshadowed by better and better fighters that could match its alltitude. When the 86 was first being designed the main British fighter was the Hurricane.

It was a recce plane more than anything. High altitude Spitfire VI and VII were well known to intercept them at high altitude over North Africa and Italy. The VVS were begging Britain for Spitfire IX to intercept them.

Oh I believe it dont take me wrong. She was not a very good plane, I just think it is funny sometimes how Lanc posts stuff but give you no reason.

I believe they did a few high level raids on Moscow during '43 and the VVS were requesting Britain to deliver Spitfire IXs for PVO duty.

alder, look into the combat achievements of the plane, apart from herald the creation of new high altitude spitfires, what did the -86 do that made it not useless in combat??

Only the MiG-3 was capable of high altitude combat in the VVS. The Spitfire IX was superior to any variant of the MiG-3.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
alder, look into the combat achievements of the plane, apart from herald the creation of new high altitude spitfires, what did the -86 do that made it not useless in combat??

I think the plane is crap too, dont take me wrong Lanc but it could still drop bombs and act as a recon aircraft in some areas. The Swordfish was completly obsolete and outclassed and out performed by anything in the sky but was it useless? No. :D

Guys im having a tough discision about what was the better fighter: P51D Mustang or German ME262.

P51 had better turning and movement
Me262 was faster
P51 packed .50 cal
Me262 was packing six guns(i cant remember what model gun though!)

So what do u think was better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back