Best tank killer aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The storch may look bad, but you gotta admit its damn useful. Take off in 213 feet, land in 61 feet, and if the wind is 25mph it can "hover." Don't you just love desktop calendars :lol:

Sure many planes could damaged Tanks as well as the Il-2, but few could have withstood AA enemy fighter attacks as well the Sturmovik.

IMO the P-47 doesn't look too bad, it has a massive radial engine so it can't be too sleek. IMO the P-47 is the best ETO fighter/ground attack, don't worry, the Spitfire ain't far behind.

Archer said:
IMO the P-47 doesn't look too bad, it has a massive radial engine so it can't be too sleek. IMO the P-47 is the best ETO fighter/ground attack, don't worry, the Spitfire ain't far behind.
i wouldn't have even put the spitfire in for the catagory of fighter bomber, but for me, it still has to be the mosquito

Well, I was actually placing it in the best aircraft in Europe but I originally typed fighter and was too lazy to delete it LOL.
I meant:
The P-47 is the best aircraft used in the ETO IMO. The Spitfire is only slightly behind the P-47 (probably because it wasn't such a good ground attack plane ;) )

w/e spit is weaksauce 2x cannon and 2x mg=bullshit 8x brownings is what its about and spits had very little range for use as fighter bombers (cuz occasionally u need to reach the target u know cant just get there and not come back) and besides 2.5k of bombs and such is better than 1000lb cuz we all know 2 3x rocket tubes and 3 500lb boms and 8x .50 is better than 2x brownings and 2x 20mm and 2x 500lb bombs so spit is shit in ground attack and sure griffon engine spits are faster than p-47s but less guns and less bombs so spit loses

yeah, but the spit wasn't designed as a fighetr bomber, so you can't really say that. later versoins were armed with more that two cannon and two machine guns, and the spit held on throughtout the war, so it can't be that bad.

BTW. what does "w/e" mean?

Best tank killer of the war eh? I think the Shturmovik had the best combination of assets to make it a serious tank threat. Three 37mm cannon, underwing rockets and the ability to take tremendous punishment. Not to mention more of them were built than ANY other combat plane in history. In second place I think I'd put the Hs129 whether it had the 75mm or "just" the 30mm cannon, its twin engines give it better resilience than single engine types (assuming it can maintain Altitude on 'one'...any takers?). I don't think the Americans had any 'truly' great tank busters, although Mustangs and Tbolts can carry rockets so can Typhoons, Spitfires, Tempests etc etc etc. Apparantly the only way to make a tank kill with the .50 Brownings was to richochet the shells off the ground into the soft underbelly of the tank...a 1 ft high target at 300mph flying 50 feet off the ground!

-- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back