Best Tank Killer of WW2 continued

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

from my friend S. Arndt in Germany, Bruno Meyers Hs 129 while in Afrika in 1942.....his bio is being worked on shortly

Attachments

• meyer_02_201.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 631
Nice model there, but you know what I hate? I hate it when they mess up the swastika like that. Jesus it is a model and is trying to portray the real thing, then show it like it really was.

yes I feel for the German modellers as the swastiaks in competition are strictly a big No, No. Bruno Meyers bio coming probably by Sunday

this man flying the above model is probably best known for commanding a Hs 129 unit in gruppe strength that stopped a T-34 attack towards W-SS lines at Kursk .............

Bruno Meyer

Bruno Meyer was born on 13.11.1915 in Jeremie on Haiti. On 04.04.1934 he joined the Heer, but soon changed the service and at the end of 1937 he was with the reconnaissance and weapon school of the Luftwaffe in Hildesheim. Starting from 01.08.1938 he was with the Fliegergruppe 20 in Tutow, which was later renamed II.(S)/LG 2. With it he participated in the Polish and West campaign, whereby this at that time only Schlachtfliegergruppe of the Luftwaffe distinguished itself on more than one occasion.

Jabo employments follow against Südengland, predominantly against airfields and 1941 the campaign on the Balkans, already as a squadron commander of the 5.(S)/LG 2. In Russia the group fought first in the central section, then in the north up to Schlüsselburg (tank battle with Witebsk) and later again in the center to Rusha (80km from Moscow). On 21.08.1941 Oberleutnant Bruno Meyer was awarded the knight cross after over 200 combat missions.

1942 he led his Staffel, now 10./Sch.G.1, mainly in the south section and came from 08.07.1942 for short time as a Staffelkapitän to the 3./Erg.Zerst.Gr. Deblin Irena. In October 1942 he was transferred to the newly mustered II./Sch.G.2 in Africa. Starting from 01.11.1942 he was Staffelkapitän of the 4./Sch.G.2, which was equipped with Hs 129 and was deployed for tank hunting.

After the end in Tunesia, he set up the IV.(Pz)/SG 9 in the summer 1943 and obtained great successes as Kommandeur of this tank fighter group at the large battles in Russia. From in the middle of July until October 1944 he was in the O.K.L., then starting from 24.10.1944 commander of the I./SG 104 and from March 1945 to end of war in staff positions. The exact number of combat missions is unknown, while it must exceed 500 clearly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• meyer_725.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 542
Why you consider guns as main AT weapon especially for Il-2? Anyway they hit ratio was never be greater than 3-4%. PTAB-1.5 - 2.5 was more effective than any gun. Carrying 190-210 this small bombs in each plane we can expect hit any tank from TOP at 3000 sq meters.
Exuse me, i don't read all pages

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Nice model there, but you know what I hate? I hate it when they mess up the swastika like that. Jesus it is a model and is trying to portray the real thing, then show it like it really was.

Okay, I is confuzed. So are you saying that because the modeler was German he/she messed up the Swastika on purpose? I do have a very basic knowledge of the anti-Nazi laws in Germany, which may have changed since them. Please explain.

:{)

he is quite familiar with the laws in Germany since this is where he is stationed. Bah on the swastika thing nobdy is going to see it except him and he can buy the decals from the US through mail without problem and post them on his kit completed. you might be intersted in this I know one of the chaps quiote well that is on staff with Deutschland IPMS and it is depending on where the shows are located but German a/c can display the swastika in certain circumstances even when this is shown on the box-top as taboo. Remember this is done for historical sake and not that you are supporting a Nazi regime which is quite well defunct ..........

Jon can you switch on your scan the markings on the 87G ? they are actually backwords. you want to have the Geschwader(small) code on the left side of the Balkenkreuz and then the A/C and Staffel code right of it

No that is not what I am saying at all. I also am very aware of the laws of Germany because I was born and raised here in Germany. I just feel that if you are going to portray something with a historical sense, you should keep it as realistic as possible. Do not cover up teh swastika or mess it up because it was the symbol of the Nazis.

I am a WW2 German militaria collector and I do not remove the swastikas from my uniforms and equipment because of what it was used for. It is historical and needs to stay the way it is and be appreciated for the historical value that it has.

Top 3 are Typhoon, P-47 and Il-2 Shturmovik. Of the 3 the Typhoon was reckoned to have the most firepower to bring to bear on a tank; 4x20mm cannon and 8x60lb rocket projectiles. More than the broadside from a destroyer!

Top 3 are Typhoon, P-47 and Il-2 Shturmovik
To leave the Ju-87G's off that short list is damn near criminal, but I will agree with you concerning the firepower of the Tiffy....

However, we are talking armour busting, not ground strafing, so those 20mm are basically used to sight in the main tank busting armament, those sweet-ass 60 pounders...

If they could've only mounted 37mm pods on the Typhoon...

Users who are viewing this thread