Best Tank Killer of WW2 continued (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
You are correct that they were never used in WW2 but they were able to carry them and were used after the war.

Tempest Mk. V was tested and cleared to carry 8 zero length 60 lb ground attack rockets. But it was never used operationally during the war. After the war, when used on Mk. IIs, the rockets were often mounted on zero length hooks. The rails spoiled the aerodynamics of the wing.
http://hem.passagen.se/chla/tempest.htm

I don't believe it was even tested with the intent of mounting them on the Tempest during WWII. The Brits had much experiance with the penalties of rocket launcher rails on the Typhoon. The Typhoon was available in large numbers as a ground attack fighter, and nearly as good in this roll as a Tempest, so the few Tempests were mainly to ensure local air-superiority and conduct ground attack as a secondary duty. Eventually, had the war lasted long enough or the invasion of Japan happened, the number of Tempests might have resulted in the retirement of the Typhoon and then rockets might have been mounted on them. Given the small numbers of Tempests actually in combat during WWII, it did not make sense to hamper them with rails.

=S=

Lunatic

No actually it was mounted and tested on the Tempest but was just not ever used in combat in WW2.

RP 3" (7.62 cm) 55¼" 47 lb (21.3 kg) 25 lb (11.3kg) 1575 ft/sec (480m/s) Typhoon, Tempest, Mosquito, Beaufighter

RP aicraft ground attack rocket
Rocket Motor Tube
3¼" diameter 55¼" long
Total weight of 21.3kg (47 lb) w/ 25 lb AP head
11 lb cruciform stick of cordite - the main propellant charge.
Maximum Velocity of 480 m/sec (1,575 ft/sec)

60 lb Shell, HE/SAP
60 lb Shell, HE/GP, Hollow Charge
18 lb Shell, HE
25 lb Shot, AP
25 lb Head, Solid, A/S (Anti-Submarine)
60 lb Shell, Practice, concrete head (Training only)
12 lb Head, Practice, (Training only)

Attachments

• 1_350.jpg
    1_350.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,165
I don't see any conflict Adler. I agree it was tested. But it was decided not to mount the rails on the Tempests for combat because of the performance penalties. The Typhoon's were in pleantiful supply for rocket attacks - why cripple the Tempest with rails that reduced the performance to that of the Typhoon?

=S=

Lunatic

ah..........

brad was little annoying 13 year old (i think) he really pissed people off but les more than most, he was a bit stupid and often made rediculous remarks, and spammed allot, but he's gone now.................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back