Best U.S night fighter

Which was the best U.S night fighter?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Theres a fantastic book about the P61 from Schiffer called "Queen of the midnight skies".

The book has loads of interesting info about the US nightfighter effort. I was surprised to find out that the Mosquito was held in higher regard than the P61. But, Britain wouldnt release any Mosquito's to the AAF, so we ended up using it.

Heres some info listed in the Appendix of the book.
Night fighter kills in the CBI:
426th FS had 5 kills
427th FS had 0 Kills.

Both were capable night fighters too. I do know that Mosquitoes in AAF service also operated as pathfinders and weather recon scouts. I would have to do some digging to see what info I have on the Mosquito in AAF service.

as I was once a member of the US night fighters association I will tell you from chatting with the 416th nfs rep that they wished they had the P-61 on hand earlier in the war instead of the Mossie. the Mossie was the only thing they had and they used it for effect especially in ground strafing. I have the 416th nfs microfische as well as the 422nd and 425th, 417th nfs.

Said it before will say it again, the US nfs crews wnated a fighter of their own and that was the P-61 Widow which they loved

syscom3 said:
Did they give any reasons why they wanted the P61?

It sounded like the mousie was better than the P61.

Check the creature comforts between the two and tell me what plane would you rather be in for hours at a time looking for enemy fighters?!?! :rolleyes:

I've seen the interiors of both. The P-61 looked way more comfortable and that was probably half the reason there. The Mossie was a great plane but the interior was designed for S&M. :shock:

Syscom my last sentance says most of the reason, the US had much pride in it's a/c arsenal and they wanted their own a/c, not something they felt was borrowed.

I haven't been in a P61, in fact I haven't seen one, but I have been in a Mossie. Its quite comfy, the crew have a good view and being staggered seats, shoulder room. They were warm to fly in (eat your heart out P38) but the Radar op must have been a little enclosed.
The one I sat in was a bomber so lacked nearly all the electrics of a NF.

Glider said:
but the Radar op must have been a little enclosed.
The one I sat in was a bomber so lacked nearly all the electrics of a NF.

That's what I'm talking about - I seen one and thinking about the NF equipment, I think I rather be in a ball turret!

It's funny, I also seen a Canberra and the navigator/ bombardier's station seemed the same way - there was a tunnel where you climbed into the nose, reminded me of climbing into the nose of a missle!

The worst position ever has to be the Nav in a Sea Vixen. To all intents and purposes you don't have any window, bar a small hatch. Not for nothing was it nicknamed the Coal Hole.

Glider said:
The worst position ever has to be the Nav in a Sea Vixen. To all intents and purposes you don't have any window, bar a small hatch. Not for nothing was it nicknamed the Coal Hole.
:evil4: Great!

The Skyraider had a pretty dismal radar operator's position as well, at least it had a window! :rolleyes:

evangilder said:
Joe, did you ever climb through that narrow tunnel on a B-25 to get to the nose. Man, that is cramped!

Yep! Another hell hole - The P2 neptune has one to go to the back end of the aircraft - Hey, we should start this as a thread! Aircraft with the most confined area! :lol:

FLYBOYJ said:
evangilder said:
Joe, did you ever climb through that narrow tunnel on a B-25 to get to the nose. Man, that is cramped!

Yep! Another hell hole - The P2 neptune has one to go to the back end of the aircraft - Hey, we should start this as a thread! Aircraft with the most confined area! :lol:

The back seat in an early model P-38 would win. On some they didn't even change the canopy and they sat on the main spar at the same height as the bottom of the pilots seat for a floor.

wmaxt

wmaxt said:
FLYBOYJ said:
evangilder said:

The back seat in an early model P-38 would win. On some they didn't even change the canopy and they sat on the main spar at the same height as the bottom of the pilots seat for a floor.

wmaxt
:shock:
Truly sadistic!
:wrestler20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back