Best "Western World" post WWII Bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No doubt - Avro Vulcan - okay, it had a smaller bomb load, but apart from that it could do all the things a B52 could, and was far more manouverable. I wonder how it would developed, had Skybolt not been cancelled? Maybe a vastly upgraded version would still have been in service today?

I remember in the Eighties seeing several of them lined up in a row by the perimeter wire - impressive stuff!

Mind you, you need to see, hear, and feel one take off. I've never heard such a racket in my life, and the sight of this huge Vulcan lifting off the tarmac - brilliant!

I've seen a Vulcan fly too, its an awe-inspiring sight. Im not sure if you can class it as being 'better' than the B52 tho, it doesnt have such an extensive combat record, so it remains a 'what-if'

To be sure, it's all hypothetical, the job it was designed to do was thankfully just a 'what if'.

Nah, what I was getting at was that the manouverablity of such a big crate was astounding, it could even outfly EE Lightnings, which in turn proved more than a match for the Phantom.

Very true 8) I was just thinking in terms of actual action they'd seen, the B52 was a nuclear bomber by design, but it managed to carve itself a new niche with the Arc Light raids in Vietnam. It would have been interesting to see how the Vulcan survived such a drastic change in its mission profile.

Medvedya said:
Mind you, you need to see, hear, and feel one take off. I've never heard such a racket in my life, and the sight of this huge Vulcan lifting off the tarmac - brilliant!

I saw one fly at an air show here, about twenty years ago.
It was an impressive display!

I believe some were later converted to RB-36 standard and used in recon overflights of Communist territory. Of course, the USAF does not count this as combat as the overflights never happened

It's the fact the the US Government deny that it ever happened!
Soviets: Did you do any spying missions with those B-36's of yours?
US (Even though they probably did):No, of Couse not!
Soviets: Then where did this spy material of yours originate from? Eh?
US: How did you know it was spy material?
Soviets: Our Spies... D'OH!

Ayway, after the Vulcan, It'd have to be the B-2, Then the B-1.

Users who are viewing this thread