Best "Western World" post WWII Bomber (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Russians were fully aware of the overflights - they had the crews in the Gulag and bits of US bomber all over the place. The US remained adamant though, telling the families of those MIA that they were killed in training. Worst of all, the US made these 'accidents' sound like the crews own faults! I find it a little tragic that they had to be quite so cruel about it.

The Avro Vulcan was certainly a brilliant aircraft. Originating from the worlds first delta wing aircraft. Of course, a British design.

I see everyone has failed to mention the Vulcan raids on the first days of the Falklands War. One of the biggest distances ever covered in one single mission to bomb Port Stanley, from England to Falklands.

I have felt, seen and heard a Vulcan take off vertically. Curling over on one wing at around 1000 feet and pulling away to the ashtonishment of everyone watching...purely to have a go at the Lightning squadrons who enjoyed doing it all the time.

the vulcan flew THE longest bombing mission of all time from the assention islands to the falklands, two bombers had 11 tanker aircraft to help them make the trip....................

That's the trip from England, actually. It's the same mission, the Ascention isles are pretty close to the Falklands.

I have felt, seen and heard a Vulcan take off vertically. Curling over on one wing at around 1000 feet and pulling away to the ashtonishment of everyone watching...purely to have a go at the Lightning squadrons who enjoyed doing it all the time.

I would love to have seen that.

plan_D said:
That's the trip from England, actually. It's the same mission, the Ascention isles are pretty close to the Falklands.

No they 'ain't! :lol: They're about 3000 miles from the Falklands - a ten hour trip in the back of a Hercules!

I was saying that in reference compared to England. I know, my dad has told me about his trip down there during the Falklands war, which he faught in.

Yeah that's true, it's nearer, but it's still a mammoth journey from Ascension down to Stanley. Even the Tristars can't make the journey without stopping at Ascension to refuel.

He was an aircraft technician. 11 Fighter Squadron, with Lightnings during most of the Cold War. Service in Northern Ireland. One of the first electricians trained on the Chinook and was requested to serve both in the Falklands and Gulf for his expertise on them.

Nope, but he loaded it up with the Chinooks in Southhampton. And kept the soul surviving Chinook running until the new ones went down.

I don't know, I would ask him but he's at work. I know he knew a lad who was on the Conveyor 'Little Andy' a rigger who was going down to the Falklands with the Chinooks while my dad was flown down in a Herc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back