Best "Western World" post WWII Bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Are you moving far Evan? I bet you make sure the coffee making kit is the first item off though if your neighbours are any good they usually come round with a brew and a wad don't they.

The Fuhrer said:
JU-88!!!!!! whatever u say its da best
Seig heil

First of all learn your facts first. The Ju-88 in nost a POST WAR BOMBER!! Read the heading of the of the topic!!!!!!!!

2nd of all coming from a German here, you saying Sieg Heil is a disgrace upon yourself and my people!!!! Grow up!!! Der Fuehrer was an evil man and if he is someone that you emulate get the hell out of my forum!!!!

Hitler wahr der untermensch und so bist du wenn du ihn liebst!!!!

BUF proved itself for the past 50 years and will continue for many more. Unlike most other so called bombers it forged its reputation in combat and before that as THE Cold War deterrent to the Russkies.

my mistake i didnt read the thread...rite best post war bomber, B1b or maybe F15E, as light strike...

I always liked the B-47. RB-47s also did a lot of recon over the USSR. Taking over from the B-36, some very interesting stories on the subject around, but I think I have posted them on here elsewhere.

The B-52 is probably the better all round aircraft though, being the replacement.

The Vulcans longest bombing mission has since been eclipsed by B-52s in desert storm. The Vulcan mission was largely to dampen the morale of the argies and wasn't particularly effective, being only one aircraft and such a long mission.

The Persian Gulf War involved the longest strike mission in the history of aerial warfare when B-52s took off from Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana, launched conventional air launched cruise missiles and returned to Barksdale—a 35 hour, non-stop combat mission.

They may even have broken it again with B-2s or B-52s in Afghanistan or GW2.

The Vulcan does however have a particularly low radar signature, and it did change it's mission profile from hi alt freefall nuclear bomb delivery to low level strike standoff cruise missile carrier and later conventional weapons. It was not as versatile in as many roles as the B-52 however.

The B52 has to take the cake on this one. Simply for its service in the cold war, Vietnam, GF1 and GF2.

The Russian "Bear" bomber also deserves some accolades. If only for its use in the ASW role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back