Best "Western World" post WWII Bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Why didn't you say that then? ;)

You mean, how is Turbo-Shaft different from Turbo-Prop?

Oh...k.

What ever you requested, Lanc was wrong to call the Tu-95 a piston aircraft.

Oh God, the Turboshaft debate again...

Ok, look...

The NK-12 engines on the Bear and An-22 each produce 15,000hp; ever seen that in a piston?

Anyway, the air enters the engine like a jet's, is compressed, exits the compressor inside the housing, and goes past a turbine that's connected to the propellor shaft...

To make it easier...

1)Air goes in
2)Air is compressed
3)Air exits compressor
4)Compressed air turns a turbine in the rear
5)Turbine in turn turns the shaft the propellors are connected to...

Basically a piston engine that is powered by a turbojet, rather than pistons...

A great concept, but they have to be huge for it to work correctly, and almost undoubtedly need contraprops (HUGE contraprops) to handle the power...

I didn't know what he was asking!

The NK-12 engines on the Bear and An-22 each produce 15,000hp; ever seen that in a piston?

the largest internal combustion engine in the world sits in the Shanghi Express (a container ship) and produces 92,000hp...........

Yes, it was the victim of an unfortunate mistake, the Valkyrie, as I recall, a following jet, think it was an F-18 or something, got caught in the wake and ripped to shreds causing the loss of both aircraft. The variable geometry tail causes a lot of wake. If I had the ability I'd post a small gif showing the wing flexibility, but I can't and it would be unfair to those on dial-up to anyway.

The Valkyrie actually collided with an F-104 Starfighter. Here is a pic just after the collision, the 104 is tumbling and disintegrating.

Attachments

• xb70-end_206.jpg
    xb70-end_206.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 460
  • xb-70amidair2_373.jpg
    xb-70amidair2_373.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 469

Users who are viewing this thread

Back