Best World War II Aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've never researched all the ww2 aircraft,but I've seen pictures of most of them. Like the Sunderland?Huge,has depth charges,white paint job?

I've never researched all the ww2 aircraft,but I've seen pictures of most of them. Like the Sunderland?Huge,has depth charges,white paint job?
Ohka you live about 35miles to a nice collection of aircraft In Hamilton they have only the 2nd flying Lancaster Bomber in the world a Pby Catalina a Lysander that will be making its first flight this summer as soon as the paperwork from overseas catches up and are also restoring a Bolingbroke also called a Blenheim . Which is welll along although the pic doesn't indicate that. Its called the canadian Warbird heritage

Attachments

• IMG_0135_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0135_1_1.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0142_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0142_1_1.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0149_1_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0149_1_1_1.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0148_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0148_1_1.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 131
I have actualy been on board a civilian version of the Short Sunderland, (which I believe was called the Hythe) and I have to say that the level of opulance was something else to behold. It was a massive aircraft and I am suprised that any of them were able to get airborne from the water.

The Hythe was housed in the Southampton (UK) aircraft museum, but unfortunately the museum has (I think) gone bust. I do not know what happened to the exhibits.

Ok, that's alot of thread to read, so before anyone jumps in with another outrageous claim about how some measly fighter won the war, here is the thread so far, very, very, very breifly...

1. Everyone with any knowlege of WWII planes generally agrees that the C-47 Medium Transport was the most influential, decisive and thus best plane in WWII.

2. It did many other jobs other than troop transport; troop carrying, general airline, parachute drops, glider tug, e.t.c.

3. It is the most used plane of WWII today, and shaped many modern plane construction methods.

4. There is much more to winning a war than combat. Medical, Ammo, Information, Recon, Morale...

5. The jet engine was still being born during even the latter stages of WWII, and so is not deemed influential enough to allow a jet fighter to be crowned 'the best'.

I like its combination of performance, maneuverability, and its looks. I think it is a very underated fighter. It was not the best in all areas but it was very good in all and therefore I rank it as the best fighter in my opinion. Not my favorite but the best in my opinion.

Having said that the Best Aircraft of WW2 was the C-47.

Perhaps the question of the best WWII aircraft would be best broken down into different categories? And maybe years? I think there are too many variables and differences in roles to pin the best award to any one plane.

tom

I would say the C-47 was the most Important.

Then the 262 the Best of the Revolutionary and the B-29 the Best of the Evolutionary aircraft of WWII.
Well put....

As stated earlier, there's a lot more to military aviation than shooting down other aircraft and dropping bombs....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back