Best World War II Aircraft? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If you read most of the thread, this has nothing to do with favorites. My favorite WW2 aircraft is the P-38 as well but it was not the best all-round aircraft...

If you read most of the thread, this has nothing to do with favorites. My favorite WW2 aircraft is the P-38 as well but it was not the best all-round aircraft...

Well everybody knows that the best WWII A/C is clearly the Ta-152 :D I was inside one of Cavanaugh's C-47s at the airshow we had at Corpus - I couldn't believe the incline from the tail to the cockpit because of the tailwheel!

I was inside one of Cavanaugh's C-47s at the airshow we had at Corpus - I couldn't believe the incline from the tail to the cockpit because of the tailwheel!
We had one way back when i was in A&P school. After a day working on that thing you were walking around at a 30 degree list.

Back in the 80's we sent a C47 down to Peterson AFB I believe and it broke down but they got spare bits needed from the one in a museum there very humbling:oops:

One of the best ac of ww2 is here today, July 6, tomorrow and Sunday, Sentimental Journey, a B17. I saw her twice today flying over and her engines sounded really sweet. What a sight. May go out tomorrow and walk through her.

Went out this morning to the B17 and was asked to help pull through the props to clear the bottom cylinders so of course did it and was a thrill. Watched as they cranked up 3 then 4 then 1 and 2. What a sound and then they taxied out and took off.

my first post so excuse me if i sound dumb
firstly i don't agree with any of these
because the "best" plane would or could be catorgerised to have done the most to win the war which opens the door to a number of aircraft
1 the P51 mustang i disagree with americans on many points but the p51 was a work of art
2 the Mosquito i don't think this aircraft had an equal in reguards of versitility
though that could be argued as well. In short there is so many criteria the "best plane" would have to fill that i don't think there is any overall answer personally my favourite plane is the Hawker Tempest

The Douglas Dakota or C-47 was maybe the best .

Have to go with the Mosquito. Could do so many roles and was brilliant in each one. British too.

In my opinion the best plane in the was without any shadow of a doubt the CAC Boomerang.

Please dont ask me to justify my decision because I cant hahaha, except maybe that it proved to be a successful close support aircraft.

This opinion is obviosuly biased and based on little fact:D :D

Ok same maybe it wasnt the best plane of WW2, perhaps it was the C-47, as Churchill said,

"Victory is the beautiful brightly coloured flower. Transport is the stem, without which it could have never have blossomed."

My definition of "The Best" is the one with the most profound impact demonstrated through a long life span. The aircraft that would be the most missed if it never was...

The bombing raids would have been in trouble w/o the long range P-51.. but they could have adjusted.

England may have fallen w/o the Spit or Hurricane but the war would have continued.

The IL-2 slaughtered tanks by the score. The Germans would have more success and maybe prolonged the war but the end result wouldn't have changed.

If the ME-109 never was, the FW-190 (although more expensive to produce) could have stepped up... and vice versa.

The only plane I can think of that was entirely irreplaceable was th C-47!
No doubt... she was the best... ground all the C-47s for 6 months at anytime during the war and see what happens.

Gooney Bird ROCKS!!!

B-29 is second... w/o it's range the war would have been prolonged... no doubt! Unfortunately her service record was comparatively short.

1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum

Attachments

• c-47-1.jpg
    c-47-1.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 84
The only plane I can think of that was entirely irreplaceable was th C-47!
No doubt... she was the best... ground all the C-47s for 6 months at anytime during the war and see what happens.

Gooney Bird ROCKS!!!

Amen and I completely agree with you brother!

Of course, I'm not going to take anything away from the C-47. However, I will add that the C-46 could have been the main transport of the Allies and on paper it was a superior design.

c46.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back