Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Chinese Air Force

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russian Air Force

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • Japanese Air Force

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sure the USAF was great...sure the RAF pilots were great...sure the LW planes were great....but I'd like to remind you of a small country named Romania, who fought on both sides of the war and although our air force was not much our pilots still managed to shot down soviets, americans and later germans and hungarians.Our top ace Constantin "Bâzu" Cantacuzino managed to shot down 60 planes until the end of the war including a P51 Mustang.Almost every time outnumbered our pilots managed to do wonders with small numbers, outdated planes and a not so great logistic.It may not deserve the number 1 spot but it deserves to be remebered.

Syscom wasn't wrong

Now Adler I'm going to assume you didn't read the below, but If you infact have read it then you're ignoring what I'm writing.

"Now just incase someone has forgotten it, I still have never claimed that the LW was the best AF of 1944-45, so now you people hopefully won't forget this and make it up that I did once again."

I NEVER CLAIMED THE LW WAS THE BEST AIRFORCE in 1944-45 - Is this hard to understand ? If not you guys seem awfully good at ignoring this!

And no Adler I am not wrong, Syscom3 is though and very much so at that.

You cannot discount what I have said cause I haven't said anything wrong, I've just stated the facts.

There were a good number of aircraft, AFV's, smallarms equipment which only saw limited service but was some of the very best or THE best in its category to see service during WW2 - Me-262, Ta-152H, Ar-234, Vampir IR equipment for AFV's smallarms etc etc.. just to name a few.

PS: There's no angry tone in any of the above.

Bill,

Go ahead show me some incidents where the USAAF trashed the LW in a fight where they were inferior in numbers - and I want the LW reports on losses and a/c committed to the fight as-well, if you can't then even the date is good enough cause then I can check it myself.

As to the P-38, it was sluggish compared to the single engined fighters in the ETO, its top speed was a low 414 mph, the Bf-109 G-6/AS, G-10, -14, -14/AS K-4 all being faster, far more maneuverable and better climbers. The FW-190 Dora-9 is faster, climbs faster and is far more maneuverable as-well, the Me-262A-1a is much faster, climbs better and is more maneuverable at all but the slowest of speeds.

Also the P-38L cannot climb at 4,700 + ft/min, the max climb rate of the P-38L is ~4,100 ft/min - the 4,700 + ft/min figure is suspect and was only achieved in a single test, in which the a/c wasn't fully loaded.

And as to the Me-262A-1a and its superior acceleration and speed compared to the P-80, you should note that the Me-262's "official" performance figures are very conservative figures by Messerschmidt AG to Rechlin for placing a performance guarantee to avoid recieving complaints about performance not matching the listed figures - the performance of different batches of engines varying because of the lack of refined metals needed but not falling below the guaranteed figure. The British tested the Me-262A-1a post-war multiple times and established the top speed of the Me-262 to be in excess of 908 km/h (568 mph), demonstrating the performance when the engines were running as intended.

Name an area of quality that the US 'sacrificed' in its production methods? You want to stress the 'quality of the He177' or the 'quality of the Me262 engines' as illustrative of emphasis by German production/design focus?

Name just one ? US weldings external finish wasn't as carefully done as that of the Germans, and German metal inspection was also more thurough frequent for each product batch. German metals were generally also of better quality and strength, until the required refined metals went in very scarse supply. German product testing was also more thurough frequent, and there were more strict demands. German optics were much more carefully precisely crafted.

That the Me-262's engines lacked in reliability has got absolutely NOTHING to do with the precision of the finished work or quality of the design, the relibility issues all originated from the fact that the right metals necessary to build the fan-blades were in VERY short supply and so many blades lacked the strenght intended, the better quality control couldn't stop this from happening as there simply was no solution to the problem unless they had the required metals. The He-177's engine problems originated from some small design flaws of which most were solved, but the lack of funding meant that this took much longer than it would've otherwise taken with proper funding.

And about Syscom3, yes he is wrong Bill, and very much so.

Now Adler I'm going to assume you didn't read the below, but If you infact have read it then you're ignoring what I'm writing.

No I read everything but you just keep repeating yourself but not posting any sources or facts. You are only stating your opinion which happens to be a very biased one not based off of historical facts. You bring up a lot of what ifs. This is not about whats ifs. This is about what actually happening.

Okay then why are you argueing the fact that the Luftwaffe was better than. Your whole arguement has been that. Go back and read it.

Here is basically how this whole debate has gone (and its been about 1944 to 1945, I will sum it up right here. This whole debate is very funny...)

P.S. I have altered the convo a bit for humor factor.

Soren: I am not saying the Luftwaffe was the best in 1944 or 1945 okay.

Bill: The Luftwaffe did not have the strategic bombing capability the USAAF had.

Soren: That lies!!! The Luftwaffe had the He-177, He 277, Me 264, Ju 390 which were all superior to or equal to the B-29!

Bill: The He 277, Me 264, and Ju 390 did not reach operational status or were just prototypes. The He 177 had many many problems and was not built in sufficient numbers.

Soren: More lies from Bill! Those aircraft were ready! There was just no fuel or trained pilots and the Luftwaffe put priority on fighters!

Adler: Does that not mean they are not ready or can not used and therefore the Luftwaffe does not have the strategic capability of the USAAF?

Soren: Ignore

Syscom: The Luftwaffe did not really have a long range fighter.

Soren: No the Luftaffe had the Ta 152 which was better than any long range fighter that the allies could put in the air.

Syscom: Umm but that was the last few months of the war they did not accomplish anything...

Soren: Syscom not living in the real world! The Ta 152 was better! If they had eneogh fuel the allies would not have won!!!

Bill: The Luftwaffe did not have the global reach of the USAAF.

Soren: More lies from Bill! The only reason the allies could attack Germany was because of England!

Bill: Thats not the point Soren. If the Allies could reach thousands of miles into Germany from England and the Luftwaffe could barely make London and with only 30 min over England doesn't that mean the Luftwaffe did not have a bigger reach?

Do I need to continue?

So basically in a thread about The Best Airforce you are not argueing that the Luftwaffe is the best but everything that people say the Luftwaffe was weaker in you dispute saying the Luftwaffe was better.

That is saying the Luftwaffe is the best....

Soren said:
And no Adler I am not wrong, Syscom3 is though and very much so at that.

Then I would like you to post sources that show:

1. How the Luftwaffe had a better strategic bombing capability.

2. How the Luftwaffe had a bigger global reach.

I wont ask any more because I can go on and on....

Now Sources please?

Soren said:
You cannot discount what I have said cause I haven't said anything wrong, I've just stated the facts.

Then show sources and hard facts. Lets go...

And those do not make you the best all around airforce.

Soren said:
PS: There's no angry tone in any of the above.

Go and read all your other posts.

Funding had nothing to do with the He177 design issues. Making it dive bomb capable had much more to do with the approach - Heinkel finally was able to get a four engine/four cyclinder design out and it was a good one.

Do you have a source saying the US finish and weldings were inferior?

Or is it the US quality was adequate for the job at hand and the German quality was far in excess of what was needed.

If thats the case, then the ratings for the German manufactoring techniques goes down for inefficency.

I was also pondering why the Germans had more inspection to begin with. Was it because of an over attention to detail (which really added nothing to the value of the product) or was it because the parts were coming from forced or slave labor? Either way, when it come to mass producing the weapons of war, the US totally swamped the Germans in every single catagory. As long as the quality is adequate, then it makes no sense to so further improve the quality that inefficiencies are introduced (or even maintainability).

So the Me-262 was not ready for combat was it?

The He-177's engine problems originated from some small design flaws of which most were solved, but the lack of funding meant that this took much longer than it would've otherwise taken with proper funding.

"Small"? Enough to hold up the whole project? The B29 had engine problems that were solved well enough. Sorry Soren, your bombers seem to have had too many flaws, limitations and lack of resources to be considered anything more than experimental.

And about Syscom3, yes he is wrong Bill, and very much so.

More than a few people are waiting for you to show us where I am wrong.

You dwell with to much on the micro sense of the war in Europe, and not on the macro sense of a global war.

BTW, I'm waiting for you to mention a few missions where your LW fighters flew on 2600 mile missions.

In some cases German metallurgy was superior (but not by much) than found in the US. 24T was the common aluminum used for aircraft construction. German metallurgists used more zinc as an alloying element to make their equivelent of 24T slightly more durable and eventually the alloying process was used in "2024T" which is still used today. This was a slight advantage and just made certain structures either more durable or malleable but this was not a technology showstopper.

Welding? There you re dead wrong - the US was at the forefront of machine welding techniques as a result of the automotive industry, as a matter of fact by the time WW2 started the US had automated welding machines that were the anceastors of today's CNC welding machines. Toward the end of the war weldments found on many German aircraft were poor, probably due to using slave labor.

BTW - the first aircraft whose primary structure was mainly welded together? The Vought Kingfisher....A pre-WW2 design.

As stated, it was the same German quality that produced allegedly superior weapons that was also Germany's downfall. You don't need a bullet precisely .45673 to kill someone, just a .45, and it's because of this example I show why the US was able to produce thousands of "good" aircraft while Germany produce hundreds or "allegedly superior" aircraft.

Examples are almost endless.
T34 wasn't up to German build standards but they destroyed a lot of German tanks.
The DB601 was built using sophistated shrink techniques which to a purist made it a better built engine than the Merlin. But the Merlin was at least its equal in performance, became a legendary engine and powered many tens of thousands of aircraft. It also made the 601 a very expensive engine in both cost and man hours build time for no extra gain.
The Panther was a superb tank but a nightmare to mantain and repair due to its over sophistication.

Are we talking aluminium or steel products?
Only ever having used a stick arc welder, I thought aluminium (MIG?) welding was only a very 'recent' industrial capability?

So the germans where the best producers of aircraft?

Howcome they where using the almost the same allocation of aluminium in 43 as 38 but producing thousands more aircraft, but Milch still complained of the waste?

When did the Germans moblise the female population into making aircraft to meet the growing demand?

Quality did drop with the increase of slave labour and skilled workers being drafted into the army. But still you can't deny the germans built the finest bomber seats right upto the wars end and where still polishing the welds on 190 tailwheels till 43.

German production was hardly spectacular and Gorings insistance on higher production figures by sacrificing the availability of spare engine and parts also had a detrimental effect on front line serviceabilty.

Only ever having used a stick arc welder, I thought aluminium (MIG?) welding was only a very 'recent' industrial capability?

When I was very wet behind the ears we were welding 6064. If you look at the Bell 13 (pre Korean war) both steel and aluminum welding was predominant as so litte 2024 used in that helicopter. I cannot recall a weld on a 51 (doesn't mean there weren't any I just don't remember) - none on the SR71 or U-2, none on the UH-1

The issue on 2024 vs 7076 was all about malleability (fatigue) vs ultimate strength - REALLY important for high repeatable loads like a helicopter - much less important in higher performance a/c unless aeroelasticity in play near the natural frwuency of the bird

Manufacturing is all about meeting spec with lowest cost, ACCEPTABLE quality.

SR71 much more demanding than UH 1E,H and J and Ive done 'em all.

This is an area that I believe Soren wishes he could take back - and still can..

How many Germans (even as percent of population) were driving low cost, high quality autos before WWII compared to US? That's all about high quality and low cost - General Motors and Ford and Chrysler had ZERO problem converting tons of steel to thousands of aluminum a/c per month

Both but mainly aluminum. The only significant steels being welded in the US were mild steels, 4130 and 4140 for steel tubing on fabric aircraft and for some structural parts on all-metal aircraft.
"Heliarc, and later "mig, tig" welding been around for a long time and was perfected in the late 30s early 40s. Hydrogen was used as the inert gas and the rod was tungsten but the form as many know it today wasn't really perfected until after the war where the process was slightly altered for easier use as well as cost.

Another example of American wartime fabricating ingenuity, the Budd Conestoga, the worlds first large stainless steel aircraft.

(Thanks for the information FLYBOY and drgondog)

To add on Bill, most 7075 aluminum were used in major structural components (landing gear trunnions, wing attach points, etc.) 2024T3 (24T) was usually used for skins and 2024 T6 for structural components (ribs, intercostals, etc.) 6064 and 6061 aluminum was usually used for fluid plumbing and tubing.

The A&P school I went to had an old heliarc machine that looked like it was from the 40s or 50s. I was afraid to use it....

Adler,

Make fun all you want, I cannot converse with somone who refuses to listen.

I never claimed the LW possessed a longer global reach than the US, again that is something you made up yourself. What I said was the global reach of the LW was the same as that of the USAAF - Unless the USAAF had a base in Europe to operate from there was no way they could attack Germany, and its the same for the LW, unless the LW had bases to operate from in the America's then there was no way they could successfully attack the USA. The LW possessed long range bombers as-well, bombers with equal range bomb-load as those of the USAAF. These are facts Adler, but you're welcome to dispute them.

I never claimed the LW was the best AF of 1944-45, I even made it clear that it couldn't be because of its lack of fuel trained pilots - without these two it doesn't matter what a/c you possess.

The Me-262, Ta-152H, Ar-234 Fw-190 Dora-13 were the best of their kind category of WW2, this is fact.

Now as to the He-177, He-277, Me-264 Ju-390, again I stand by what I have said before, they were the equal of the Allied bombers, they just didn't get to operate in the same fashion or enjoyed the same level of protection.

FLYBOYJ,

You're correct that the US utilized mechanical welding machines and that this was an advantage, however these machines didn't make better welds, the welds were slightly more crude than those made in German factories by hand, and the quality control in US factories weren't as frequent or strict either. Does this mean that the quality was poor ? No, not at all, however the Americans weren't as obsessed with quality as the Germans - which turned out to be an advantage in the end.

So other than this were are like before in full agreement.

And as to slave labor, well this is a good point and also proved a nuisance to the Germans although it was mainly utilized in the production of ammunition during the end of the war, some slave labor was also used for the manufacture of the V-2 rockets aircraft.

Bill,

If you're interested in the metals used during WW2 by each country, their manufacturing process quality then read the book "WWII Ballistics - Armor and Gunnery" by Lorrin Rexford Bird and Robert D. Livingston, then you'll see just how much more durable German armor metals were in general compared to Allied plates metals - German armor was more carefully crafted and refined, hence for example the Tiger Ausf.E's amazing armor protection level despite its main armor surfaces being vertical - this is explained in the book as-well. And like FLYBOYJ pointed out the Germans also used more durable metals for use in aircaft production.

As to you're quouted incident, I don't see the LW being trashed here at all ! They infact did a marvelous job shooting down a good number of bombers, and considering that by far the majority of LW a/c in the air were heavily armed bomber interceptors the shoot down of 6 Mustangs isn't bad. As to the actual LW commitment losses well I'll check this for myself just to be sure.

Glider,

The T-34 was a shock to the Germans at the beginning of its deployment, however as soon as the better armed StuG's arrived the T-34's were being pounded badly, the new StuG in a short time period of time establishing itself kill loss ratio of over 10 to 1. And the arrival of Pzkpfw IV F-2 Pzkpfw VI Tiger pretty much turned the T-34 into pure gun-fodder for the Germans.

The T-34, like pretty much all Russian tank designs, relied purely on its advantage in numbers to simply swarm its opponents on the battlefield - the battle of Kursk being the ultimate example of this.

Sorry Soren, you're wrong there as well. Machine welds are ALWAYS more superior to hand welds. The machines are set for the proper depth, temperature, and rod feed and even in the early days of automated welding, these machines out did even the most skilled welders except in close quarters or small applications.

The only way you're going to accurately compare welds is to visually inspect them for bead width and height, cut a coupon in half and compare weld depth or compare tensile strengths, again using coupons. Based on warbirds I seen over the years (especially German) you could almost guess the date of the aircraft's construction based on weld and rivet quality, providing those original parts are still there.

I have to disagree abit here, a skilled welder can make as good or better welds than the early automated welding machines of the 40's, and close quarters small applications are many on a tank body or an airplanes airframe - There are stories of Allied welded ships breaking apart in heavy seas or of welded joints failing under even mild stress in the 1940's because of weak welds made by these early welding machines. Today ofcourse the welding machines can easily out do any welder in the sheer consistancy of perfect welds - a human welder is bound to make some mistakes or less perfect welds at some point.

Roger that.

Users who are viewing this thread