I believe the story about the 3 rifles is that the Mausers of the time feed a a bit better and the extractor worked a bit better, nothing to do with power of the cartridges. The Mauser was thought to be more reliable in the field, hunting back then didn't often use magnum rifles or the dependiable expanding bullets we have today so fast follow up shots were considered essential, especially against animals that might try to eat you when provoked.
Hello Gentlemen,
I don't believe there is really anything to choose between the M1903 and the Kar.98 in terms of reliability or in terms of handling.
The Kar.98 that I have shot the most is a slightly shorter action (about the same as the Yugoslav version) but I don't think that would make a difference. It also feels slightly lighter than the Springfield.
In THEORY, the Springfield should feed more reliably because of its cone breech design but also loses some gas handling safety because of the same feature and because of something in its bolt design which I can't remember.
I believe some folks may not like it as much because it is definitely a bit more complicated with the magazine cutoff and much more fragile sights, but for most purposes, the two are basically twins.
My own preference is for the M1903 but that is just because I have more experience with it.
The reason why controlled round feeding is such a cool thing is because with the more modern push feed guns, it is possible to nearly close the bolt to chamber a round and if the bolt is cycled before the extractor has snapped over the case rim it will not pull out the round that was just chambered. If in the excitement of something dangerous bearing down on your position, you decide to try to cycle another round, it will not chamber because there is already a round in the chamber. The resulting jam if it is just a result of operator stupidity is not hard to clear, but will take a few seconds.
Now if the chamber is dirty or round is stuck in the chamber for some reason, you generally have a much bigger problem.
The typical little spring steel extractors that are set into the bolt face are probably not as strong (I have never tested this) as the Mauser style claw extractor.
The M1903 has the same claw extractor and controlled feed as the Mauser 98 as does the M1917 Enfield.
Where the real difference lies is in the ejectors.
The M1903 uses a rocking / pivoting ejector so that there does not need to be a large slot cut into the bolt face if I remember correctly.
The M1917 does something pretty similar but instead of a rocking ejector, the sheet metal ejector has a strip peeled off the outside and bent to act as a leaf spring to push it into the path of the case coming out of the chamber. This little leaf spring is fragile.
My own opinion is that the rear locking lugs, while they are easier to clean and allow for a shorter bolt throw are a trade off.
The penalty is that more of the receiver and bolt are under stress and need to be heavier construction and will bend and vibrate more when firing. While the No.4 and later Lee Enfield has a fairly heavy body (receiver), the earlier No.1 Mk.III is much more lightly built in this area.
I believe the functions even when dirty feature has little to nothing to do with the Lee Enfield action design.
The .303 British cartridge headspaces on the case rim and typically has a LOT of radial clearance in the chamber.
Even then, the headspace tends to run on the long side from the guns I have tested with gauges (quite a few at gun shows and shops).
They are in spec, but on the long side.
If you check a brand new case against a fired case, it can be seen that typically the case shoulder is moved forward by a significant amount and also expanded radially even more because of the taper of the chamber and the longer than needed headspace.
This all means that there is a significant built in clearance for fouling and dirt which I mostly due to cartridge design and chambering.
- Ivan.