BF-109 After The War

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
A friend bought these two original photos of a BF-109 that appears to be at a base being used by USAAF P-47's. Anyone have any idea where this is?

BF-109-1.jpg
BF-109-2.jpg

A friend bought these two original photos of a BF-109 that appears to be at a base being used by USAAF P-47's. Anyone have any idea where this is?

View attachment 710078View attachment 710079

Look at the p-47 code V-2T. Then you can find the FG and then find where they were.

IMHO, in the bottom image the unit code is 3T. The P-47D 3T-V belonged to the 22nd FS that based in France, Belgium initially. By the V-E Day, the squadron was based at Kassel-Rothwestern airfield, Germany, where it remained until February 1946.
The top pic shows the P-47D coded 6V-B. The kite belonged to the 53rd FS. Both squadrons with the 23rd FS (code 7U) together, were units of the 36th FG, the 67th FW, the 9th Air Force. By V-E Day, the 53FS was also based at Kassel-Rothwestern airfield (R-12), Germany being there until February 1946 as well. Because the both pics seem to be taken at the same time and location where the Bf 109G was captured I'm almost sure that's the airfield in 1945.

The image below was posted by Lisa Nall Brendle ... on the facebook. It seems her dad was servicing in the 53rd FS until Oct. 1945. I bet that's the same Bf 109G Yellow 12 seen in the both pics above.

bf109G.jpg

the source: Facebook

There seem to exist more shots of the same aircraft at Kassel-Rothwesten. A Me109 G-14 with Erla canopy?
Picture 1
Picture 2

I'm not fully convinced that all pictures show the same aircraft: the triangular marking above the "2" is visible in M MIflyer 's second picture, but not on the one posted by Wurger Wurger .
Though the building in the background appears to be identical with Picture 1.

No fuselage band in front of the tail, so unit identification will become tricky.
The light horizontal area on the tail section indicates for me either a preparation for or an oversprayed horizontal bar.

Yellow colour: 3rd Staffel within Group
Horizontal Bar: 2nd Group of Unit
--> 12th aircraft assigned to 6th Staffel of (yet) unknown Fighter Unit

The Fieseler Flugzeugwerke are reported to have a small manufacturing line for Me109's at Kassel-Rothwesten / Waldau at the end of the war.
Maybe this aircraft was a left-over and never fully finished...

There seem to exist more shots of the same aircraft at Kassel-Rothwesten. A Me109 G-14 with Erla canopy?
Picture 1
Picture 2

I'm not fully convinced that all pictures show the same aircraft: the triangular marking above the "2" is visible in M MIflyer 's second picture, but not on the one posted by Wurger Wurger .
Though the building in the background appears to be identical with Picture 1.

No fuselage band in front of the tail, so unit identification will become tricky.
The light horizontal area on the tail section indicates for me either a preparation for or an oversprayed horizontal bar.

Yellow colour: 3rd Staffel within Group
Horizontal Bar: 2nd Group of Unit
--> 12th aircraft assigned to 6th Staffel of (yet) unknown Fighter Unit

The Fieseler Flugzeugwerke are reported to have a small manufacturing line for Me109's at Kassel-Rothwesten / Waldau at the end of the war.
Maybe this aircraft was a left-over and never fully finished...

For sure the images posted by M MIflyer are of the same Bf 109G, IMHO. In the first pic we may notice the wing tip of the P-47D 3T-V on the left and above the Bf 109 wing tip. Then there is seen the rear part of a truck body with someting we may call a ladder. The same truck body can be noticed in the bottom second shot. Just a matter of t he angle these pictures were taken with. Both images you attached to your post are of the same kite but it seems these were taken in two different periods of time.

Regarding the picture I posted ... the triangular marking can't be noticed fully because of the guy standing there and his collar cover that area. What is more there is the manual inscription added what affects the pixels at the are. But I'm almost sure that's the same plane.

bf.jpg

The layout of the camo spots on the fuselage at the tail is the same as in the second pic posted by MIflyer. See the second pic below.
Your idea of the attempt to overpainting of the gruppe horizontal marking seems to be correct. Additionally the apparance of the hangar is the same in all the images where it can be noticed.

bf109G.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back