bf-109 repros (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not to forget the Oscars they are building in the US plus the Me 262's.

I am particularly excited about the Me-262's they have already built up in Washington state. It's been a 10-year project to build them, but it's well worth the effort. So far, they've completed five airframes; three two-seat models, and two single-seater models. One of the single-seaters was sold to the Messerschmitt Foundation in Germany, and will supposedly go on permanent display at their headquarters. Go here for more info on the Me-262 repro's, and information on the restoration of a couple of Me-109's found in Russia, and a Fw-190:

STORMBIRDS.COM - Luftwaffe Resources

One of them flew over here in Germany at the airshow in Berlin. Was the first Me 262 to fly over Berlin since 1945. There was some footage of it posted here a while back.

One of them flew over here in Germany at the airshow in Berlin. Was the first Me 262 to fly over Berlin since 1945. There was some footage of it posted here a while back.

Yes, I understand it was a big hit (not literally!) over there at the ILA 2006 airshow where it flew; too bad they couldn't have had a -51 or two fly "chase" (though they probably wouldn't have been able to keep up with the Schwalbe!).

making the fuselage shell for a 109 is a big challenge, even for the experienced sheet metal worker of 2007.
Anyway, the CAD files you can buy on eBay now are FINALLY allowing you to skip the first step. You don't have to send out 100 emails anymore to get the accurate data on the fuselage form. I compared to the few copies I have with the dimensions for the sections and they match 99.9%!
The 3D igs files that are included are super too. Not immediately what you need for restorations but they prove the section drawings match. I'll try to post a screenshot but don't yet know how to do this... :(

Hi Stitch,

>too bad they couldn't have had a -51 or two fly "chase" (though they probably wouldn't have been able to keep up with the Schwalbe!).

They had a Mustang at the ILA, but it was grounded because it had lost its canopy on the flight to Berlin. Maybe without that accident, we'd have seen a Me 262/P-51 formation ... I wonder if there ever was one before?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

For those that may be interested the A-20 G mentioned above was purchased by Steve Searle from Queensland, Australia. And as I understand it the A-20 remains in the U.S until the method of transport has been determined.

Also for those interested in seeing a Boston/Havoc fly, Precision Aerospace here in Oz has at least one airframe (and possibly more)that were surplus to the RAAF Museum's needs, in the long line for eventual restoration to flight.
Precision Aerospace don't have a web presence, tho some information can be found here.
Precision Aerospace / Pacific Fighters Museum

There is an A-20 at the Lone Star Flight Muesum. Sadly the little @#^% has sold the thing to our digger friends. I saw it last month, disasembled inside a hanger waiting to be shipped down under. It is in flying condition. In the 15+ years I have seen the plane, I never once saw it fly or the engines even running. I only saw it outside twice. If anyone is interested I can post some photos.

DBII

Reproduction DB601 engines wouldn't really be practical. Although, I suppose one could be branded and built for a number of uses. If a similar engine could be built to run inverted, it could be used for......

Irrigation
Motorsports (tractor Pulls, Boat Racing, etc.)
Experimental Aircraft Production

I've wondered about converting an automotive engine. Perhaps rebuilding and refurbishing a Diamler Benz Automotive V-12 engine used in some of their high performance sports cars. It's hard to find the technical data though, on the DB. I cannot find anything other than horsepower rating. I need deck height, bore, stroke, displacement, cam profiles, compression ratio, width, etc.

Specialty engine designs wouldn't be that difficult, I wouldn't think. World Products produces specialty engine blocks automotive uses- a beefed up racing block for the small block Ford components. Actually, I think it is Dart Enterpises.

My true desire is to find technical drawings on the Arado 234 or Horten 229 and retrofit it with lear engines.

Actually we (in Chino, but not the Planes of Fame or Fighter Rebuilders) DID build an Fw 190F. It was a Flugwerk unit and has a P&W R-2800 in it. It is owned by Rudy Frasca and is based at the Planes of Fame and flies there occasionally. John Maloney raced it at Reno one year (2010, I think ... but might be 2009 ... they run together for me). It was built by Matt Nightengale's shop. He is a very good builder and the Fw 190 has some original engineering in it to cool the oil that the WWII units did not have. On the first flight it overheated ... surprise. But they looked at it and came up with a great "fix" that works like a charm. It didn't overheat at full power for 8 laps at Reno! That says a lot for the oil cooler fix.

The Bf 109 we will restore is genuine wartime Bf 109E that was raised from the bottom of a lake in Russia. The DB 601 is being restored as you read this. The nose case was gone, being Magnesium, so Ross Engineering here in the States is building a new one for the Daimler Benz. The rest of the engine was fairly pristine and had no bullet holes in it, unlike the airframe.

Yes, Fighter Rebuilders will make you shiny new Mustang if you show up with an airframe that has a data plate and a bucket of money. The P-51 "Miss Velma" was built by Fighter Rebuilders with mostly new-build structure, skin, and parts. It is a very nice TF-51.

If you want a new-built P-47 or P-38, try Westpac in Colorado, USA. They did several new-built P-47's and are completing a P-38 as you read this. Joe Yancey did the Allisons. Should be a good one when it flies. If you call and are serious, ask for Bill Claires.

making the fuselage shell for a 109 is a big challenge, even for the experienced sheet metal worker of 2007.
Anyway, the CAD files you can buy on eBay now are FINALLY allowing you to skip the first step. You don't have to send out 100 emails anymore to get the accurate data on the fuselage form. I compared to the few copies I have with the dimensions for the sections and they match 99.9%!
The 3D igs files that are included are super too. Not immediately what you need for restorations but they prove the section drawings match. I'll try to post a screenshot but don't yet know how to do this... :(

I know this is reviving a dormant if not outright dead thread, but does anyone here happen to have a set of dimensional drawings they can post? I am looking for drawings to build a good 3D flight sim model.

Thanks.
- Ivan.

The Flugwerk Fw 190's are not like the originals in several ways.

They didn't add in the fuselage nose gun mounts, so the nose is very weak. It was a structural member in the real plane. Consequently the Flugwerk planes are about a 4 - 4.4 g aircraft ... nowhere near as strong as a real Fw 190. But the lines are faithful and it certainly LOOKS the part, particularly if a good propeller is used. The best-looking one I have seen to date is a C-47 glider tug prop cut to have the Fw 190 prop outline. It looks VERY real and flies well.

Last edited:
I don't think all the lines of the Flugwerk FW 190s are accurate. The engine will be different of course, but even with the Chinese Shvetsov radial, the curve of the front of the cowl is different. The originals have a very smooth curve and the reproductions have a distinct angle.
Also noticeable in a close up shot is the canopy frame on the original has a bolt sequence of 2-1-2. The reproduction has a bolt sequence of 2-2-2.
There might be more, but those to me are the most noticeable.

Is it really fair to fault the cooling of the FW 190 when the reproductions are not using the same engine or a cooling fan that is running at a much higher speed than the engine itself?

- Ivan.

The Flugwerk Fw 190's are not like the originals in several ways.

They didn't add in the fuselage nose gun mounts, so the nose is very weak. It was a structural member in the real plane. Consequently the Flugwerk planes are about a 4 - 4.4 g aircraft ... nowhere near as strong as a real Fw 190. But the lines are faithful and it certainly LOOKS the part, particuarly if a good propeller is used. The best-looking oine I have seen to date is a C-47 glider tig prop cut to have the Fw 190 prop outline. It looks VERY real and flies well.

MT propellers make a purpose-built propeller for the Flugwerk aircraft, p/n MTV-31-L-C C330-60 that fits the Ash 82 engine that is in the one down here. Its been made to the correct blade shape and dimensions, with wooden blades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back