bf-109 repros

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

An incorrect bolt sequence? Never thought I'd hear THAT one. If I gave you a $100 bill, would you complain because it was wrinkled?

Wrinkled? I would not mind.

If it had "THE UMITED STATES OF AMERICA" printed on it, I would mind.
If it had a picture of Washington instead of Franklin, I would definitely mind.

Perhaps in the case of an aircraft, it isn't functionally different, but it IS a recognition feature.

;)
- Ivan.

Fair enough.

Oh, and Aero Trader in Chino (Carl Scholl) is restoring a Douglas A-20 for a private custuomer. Looks great and is coming along nicely. This one will be a flyer ... at least until it gets to it's new home. After that, only time will tell.

Last edited:
making the fuselage shell for a 109 is a big challenge, even for the experienced sheet metal worker of 2007.
Anyway, the CAD files you can buy on eBay now are FINALLY allowing you to skip the first step. You don't have to send out 100 emails anymore to get the accurate data on the fuselage form. I compared to the few copies I have with the dimensions for the sections and they match 99.9%!
The 3D igs files that are included are super too. Not immediately what you need for restorations but they prove the section drawings match. I'll try to post a screenshot but don't yet know how to do this... :(
Yes the fuselage is not a traditional skin over frame design but stretched skin with formed overlapped ribs on the ends.To get the tooling for stretching the shapes would cost a fortune.

Actually the Flugwerk Fw 190 does not have the cannon mounts in the forward fuselage. Unfortunately these provide a LOT of strength, so the Flugwerk reproductions are not stressed like the original fighter. They are basically 4.4 g airframes. That comes from an owner plus the guy who built it. It is based at the planes of Fame Museum and has a Pratt Whitney R-2800 in it! So it has more HP than any real Fw 190 ever had, but is still not stressed for fighter maneuvers.

They HAVE run it around the race course at Reno, though!

Last edited:
Wrinkled? I would not mind.

If it had "THE UMITED STATES OF AMERICA" printed on it, I would mind.
If it had a picture of Washington instead of Franklin, I would definitely mind.

Perhaps in the case of an aircraft, it isn't functionally different, but it IS a recognition feature.

;)
- Ivan.
Flap actuator's different too.
19800902_1455974534448564_3035096648253078547_o.jpg

Original is at bottom. Image from Meiermotors FB page.

The Flugwerk 190 was never meant to be a representative of any single mark of 190, so is more accurately described as a replica.
As Greg said, they have a fairly low g-limit due to a number of reasons. They are just generally lighter-weight aircraft, as they aren't being operated in the same way as the originals were.

Our three U.S.A.-made P-51s aren't exactly at WW2 combat weight, either. ALL the warbirds are lighter. We don't need armor, armament, armament accommodations, drop mechanisms (can't drop stuff from a civil aircraft ... at least in the U.S.A.), and we aren't toting about WW2-era radios or some other stuff. So they're flying at much lower weights than they did in combat.

So, the Flugwerk replicas aren't alone in that area. They are in good company.

I would ban using original names for warbirds that e.g. don't have armor as originally fitted. E.g. a Mustang without armor should be called J-51 Babypony in which T stands for Joke.

Frankly those Flugwerk 190s are pieces of travesty.

I would ban using original names for warbirds that e.g. don't have armor as originally fitted. E.g. a Mustang without armor should be called J-51 Babypony in which T stands for Joke.

What's wrong with the Flugwerk 190's? They are well built, not advertised as being original, but close enough to get the feel.

Having seen one fly, I completely enjoyed it.

Same goes for your P-51's. Who cares if they have armor or not?

Last edited:

By that logic, then there pretty much aren't any aircraft that you would allow to use the 'original' designation. Just about every flier has had some sort of modification made to it to enable certification or ease of use.

The Flugwerk Fw 190 is NOT an exact replica.

It doesn't have the forged fuselage cannon mounts installed, so the airplane is basically only a 4.4 g airplane since the cannon mounts served to reinforce the engine mounts to combat g levels. it is pretty authentic except for that aspect. There might be a small market for Fe 190 cannon mounts if some is interested. Not sure of you could make any money on it though, the market being the size it is.

Based on watching that video, very informative, by the way, probably the easiest way to do a Bf 109 is to start with a Buchon and do a conversion, like this one...

51797756751_3c679e2627_b.jpg
DSC_4006

Or go the whole hog and replace the Merlin with the DB engine and reconfigure the nose, as in this genuine Bf 109G-2, the variant the Hispano Aviacion '109s were based.

51797756486_55e5bb0e43_5k.jpg
DSC_0062

Users who are viewing this thread

Back