There are a number of P-40 threads in the aviation forum that get necroed every so often by someone coming by and telling everyone how the this fighter is underrated or unapprectiated;
I apologize to any forum grognards disturbed by my impertinence in reviving a thread with several long posts - I know I'm a newby and long-winded to boot, but I have tried to keep the signal to noise ratio of my posts relatively high so that they are of some value. I'm well-aware these discussions have been hashed out in the past, however new information does become available, and with regard to WW2 in general, and WW2 aviation specifically, a great deal of new data has come into view in recent years, not all of which has yet been processed or assimilated. The best example being the revisions to Russian Front historiography ala
David Glantz etc.
My account here is new, but I have "lurked" on this forum for many years, specifically I have followed this thread since it was created in 2009 and followed several others on this forum for a similar length of time (some related to P-40's as well as many others). Though a newby here, I am not new to forum discussions, to aviation history, or to historical research, both "for fun" and professionally.
the MAW series is quite well known here, though what people take away from it, differs a fair bit.
That may be true, but MAW is an ongoing series, and
seeing as MAW III was published only in August of 2016, it's unlikely that the data it makes available was factored into discussions on this subject in 2009 or 2012

and of course MAW IV which is likely to have the lions share of data on USAAF P-40 squadrons in the Med hasn't been published yet . MAW series are expensive books, quite long, and as you yourself have experienced, it can take a while to read them let alone absorb and contextualize all the data therein. I have only begun to do so myself. So it's a bit premature to say that the subject is settled.
As I mentioned upthread, I have seen a progression of new data emerge about the P-40 (among many other WW2 aviation subjects) over many years. When I was a kid I poured over military aviation books by guys like Bill Gunston, Martin Caiden and Ronald Spector, and the first hand accounts by guys like Adolf Galland, Willi Heilmann, Saburo Sakai, and Hans Ulrich Rudel. The Tropes then were that P-40's were "rugged but unmaneuverable". Soviet P-39's were used exclusively for tank busting, the F2A was useless, the Italians didn't make any good fighters, and so on. Now we know all those things are false. The testimony of allied pilots like
Clive Caldwell,
Nicky Barr and
Robert DeHaven, several books published by Osprey from authors such as Carl Molesworth, the Soviet sources (especially the general research and excellent pilot interviews provided to us by the
Soviet lend lease aircraft website) the data aggregators like
wwiiaircraftperformance.org and so on have tended to rehabilitate the P-40. Each new data point seems to push in that direction, in fact.
We have seen the flying video by Jeffrey Ethell who noted his surprise at the extraordinary maneuverability of the P-40, which he noted was much more manueverable than a Mustang
and compared to "a Pitts with an Allison Engine". Significantly, Ethell himself, who knew more about WW2 fighters than most people posting here including myself, noted that he had been one of the people who believed the Trope about the "unmaneuverable" P-40 until he actually flew one.
The most interesting "recent" (as in the last few decades) research development to me has been the ongoing publication of books like
Black Cross / Red Star and the
MAW series, as well as other works by Shores and some other authors (Russel Brown's excellent but hard to find "
Desert Warriors" was one of the first to make a serious attempt as relates to the P-40), to compare
actual losses with victory claims. Done on this scale, it's something new.
So while some here may believe all of these discussions were settled already back in the 1950's or 1960's, if we really already know all the answers, what is the point of even having a forum like this to discuss WW2 aviation? In my opinion new data is clearly emerging, some of which overturns cliches and tropes from the past, and other data gives us new insights and presents entirely new aspects of the war that many of us hadn't heard of. Exciting things like a heretofore unknown (or little known)
tank battle larger than Kursk for example.
Some people are very uncomfortable that the accounts of German veterans are no longer accepted verbatim and unquestioned, but are now compared with the heretofore lesser known accounts by pilots from other nations, or that the general perception of the war and some of it's details are called into question. For me, the ongoing revelation of new data is part of what keeps all this fun, and I certainly do not believe that I know the last word on the P-40 in WW2. I do currently favor a revisionist interpretation of the Trope, as I call it, on the P-40, but MAW so far gives us an incomplete picture. I don't know what MAW IV will tell us, maybe the P-40 squadrons got slaughtered, I can't wait to find out!
TL : DR Most of what I've posted from MAW here so far was published only a year and a half ago. Contrary to the implication, the discussion is not settled.
S