Bf 109E Handles Each Side of Instrument Panel? Oxygen Lines Paint?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GaDave

Recruit
May 1, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
A. The two handles that project from each side of the Bf 109E instrument panel:
(1) The one on the right is for manual fuel pumping, right?
(2) What is the one on the left for?
(3) Have seen the knob on the one on the left in yellow, white, or black, with the knob on the one on the right in yellow or white — what is (are) the correct knob color(s)?
B. What is a good paint match for the blue color of the oxygen lines on the right side of the Bf 109E cockpit?
Thanks!

G'day mate and welcome to the forum!

The handle on the left is the Fuel shut off lever, the right hand one was the Fuel hand pump, as you said.

C and D versions had an extra handle above the Fuel shut off lever (or Fuel c0ck), which was the Coolant radiator flap handle. Though this also appears in a drawing I have of an E-3 dash, it dosen't appear in photos, so I believe the latter!

Colours in colour photos I have:
Bf109E-1, DTM, Munich. RLM 66 cockpit. White Fuel c0ck, Yellow hand pump (cockpit unrestored, original colours)
Bf109E-4, BoB Museum, Hendon. RLM 02 cockpit. Yellow fuel c0ck, Yellow hand pump. (restored cockpit, unknown how correct)

Probably have more around in the stash, will post details if I find them.

(Btw, had to rewrite fuel 'c0ck' like that, as the computer thought I was swearing and censored the word! :) )

Good info Evan.

Oxygen system is a medium blue and I'd say they likely varied a bit in colour. This one is quite light:

bk6_interior_7.jpg

Note that on the Bf109E, the blue colour wasn't normally in evidence, as the earlier regulator system was in use. This was the 'expansion', or 'demand' tank, covered by a bare metal, perforated shield, a silver-gold colour in appearance, with an asbestos or canvas gaiter over the top, which was a cream colour.
The valve and gauge housing were a dull brass or steel colour, with the hose a greyish green, sometimes a light tan colour.

No problem Andy. On some late E-7s, the nuts and pipe work in the immediate vicinity of the valve have been seen in what appears to be the blue colour, and I believe blue started to be used with the 'F', which used the circular regulator, similar to that shown in your pic.
Somewhere, I have color pics of the 'E' system, but blowed if I can find them at the moment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back