Bf-109E Staffelkapitän 5./JG27 - Hptm. Albrecht von. Ankum-Frank - 2nd August 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jjp_nl

Staff Sergeant
Apr 13, 2011
I'm trying to look up some details on the Bf-109E flown by Staffelkapitän 5./JG27. Hptm. Albrecht von. Ankum-Frank (markings/werk.nr etc.) It crashed a mile or so from where I live on the 2nd of August 1940 (just before the Staffel headed for France to play their part in the BoB).

Story is he set out to chase down a few nosey Hampdens or Blenheims that were showing up over Leeuwarden AFB, maybe for recce or pinprick attacks on the AFB as it was being build and extended by the Germans into a base that could better accomodate German luftwaffe units. Apparently one of the British gunners got lucky and most likely mortally wounded or killed Hptm. Albrecht von. Ankum-Frank. His kite went into a steep dive and smashed into the ground near Jelsum, NL (very close to Leeuwarden AFB) The myth is he even took the Staffels mascotte with him (a dog?) although that part is most likely fiction. I've been able to establish that at the time of his death Ankum-Frank had three confirmed victories.

The references I have on JG27 do indeed more or less confirm this is what happened, and even include a pic of the burned up wreckage of Ankum-Franks Bf-109E. But no further details on his a/c whatsoever. Do any operational/loss records exist on this event that might shine some light on Ankum-Franks Bf-109E? Such as subtype (E1/E3/E4) Markings, Werke.Nr. I mostly wonder if Jochen Priens works on JG27 might hold additional information on this matter, but I don't have access to these books.

Many thanks in advance

Jelmer

Jelmer, are you a member at 12 O'Clock High? Very superior knowledge there and I think Prien himself is a member. If not, I can post this question for you if no-one here has the info you're looking for.

I think I might have an account there as well. Haven't used it too much I fear (as WW2AC for me had the right blend of historical knowledge and active modelling counter) But I will look it up and post it over there as well. Thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back