Bf-109Z Zwilling in 1/72 Scale (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plheure2

Senior Airman
Nov 9, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Greetings, gentlemen:

I would be interested to know, especially from you modelingexperten, how you would go about building the Bf-109Z in 1/72 scale. I did buy the AModel kit of it a while ago, and in a word, the kit was a dog. I ended up giving it away unbuilt, but like the Sirens of Greek mythology, the concept keeps calling to me. Would you use two Hasegawa Bf-109Fs, or -Fs from another manufacturer, along with the AModel kit for the elevator and center section?

As you can see, I am intrigued by this, and any and all help would be greatly appreciated for this project for the future.....

Happy modeling,

Pete L'H.

Capt. Vick:

Couldn't find a Huma Zwilling anywhere for sale on the 'net, especially on Evil Bay. I was thinking about getting hold of a couple of more Academy G-6s, leave off the cowl humps so the fuselages look like Fs, and do it that way. I'll have to shim the inner wings of both in order to get rid of the dihedral, and probably have to cut the inner main gear struts in order to have it sit properly, but I believe it can be done. Stay tuned, everyone..... this could take a couple of years at my pace!!:lol::idea:

My mistake:oops:, not HE111 but the BF109.... still a easy conversion

piet

Last edited:

Attachments

• am_7215.jpg
    am_7215.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 330
  • amo7215.jpg
    amo7215.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 323
The Academy kits have their problems too Pete, being underdimensioned and with incorrect tail and tailplane forms. Actually, I haven't seen a 'correct' 109F or straight nosed G/K in 1:72 yet...

The kits with the most correct fueslage form so far (IMO) are the old Matchbox 109E-4, ICM 109E-4/7, and Revell G-10. Maybe combining two of the above E's with corrected Italeri F-2 cowlings and either scratch-built or A-model central wing components is the way to go?

You'd still need to alter the tailplane, fin and rudder Evan. The 'F' onwards had a different tailplane, at a different height, and the extreme rear fuselage depth was different, with more area to the fin and rudder also. Now, if this was in 1/48th scale, it'd be different, but either way, both centre sections could easily be made from balsa sheet, sanded to shape and then sealed.

Hmmmmm..... didn't think about the Revell G-10s. Methinks I may go with those and pick up that nasty AModel kit again, but just for its undersurface main wing, center section, and elevator. The rest is junk. Thanks one and all for the suggestions.

You gotta admit.... it would be one heck of a stunning model, pulled off right:D

Yes agreed. But did it in fact exist? I have my doubts... Like the night fighter D0 335 and the Me 109H. I'll take my beating now thank you!
There were actually three different versions of a "Zwilling" considered by Messerschmitt. The Bf109Z, the Me409 (derived from the Me209II) and the Me609 (derived from the Me309), but none were ever built, unlike the Do335 and Bf109H, which were built and flown (in limited numbers).

As far as I can tell the only "concrete" reference to the existence of the Dornier Do 335 two seat night fighter variant is a written Russian report of the discovery of a derelict 335 with antenna or aerials that suggested the capability. No photographs have surfaced to my knowledge. Hardly enough information to be taken at face value.

As far as the 109 H is concerned, all I'm saying is that I've never seen a photograph of this bird (which in and of it self means nothing because things get destroyed in war time) but the balance of "evidence" doesn't exactly convince me. I would put the radial engine 109 and the Hs 132 in the suspect category at the only "evidence" of their completion are very heavily re-touched photographs, though I have seen one of poor quality of an incomplete or heavily damaged Hs 132. Believe me these are only a few examples. Maybe I should change my name to "Doubting Jim".

Actually, the Bf109H-1 made a number of overflights of England and northwestern Europe, but it suffered from severe wing flutter and the project was cancelled before any real production got underway.

The Do335 had a full production run in progress when the Dornier factory was over-run by Allied troops in April 1945. The nightfighter varients, A-5 (single seat) and A-6 (double seat) never made it to production...time ran out.

The only nightfighter built was one of the early A-0 varients (CP+UK - Wk.Nr. 230010), as a prototype for the A-6 type, fitted with the second cockpit and the weapons bay was modified for an extra fuel tank. It had the radar array in place on the wings, and provisions for the FuG217 radar unit, but aparently, it was never installed. I'm not sure if any photos survive of this aircraft, but it's fairly well documented. Just as production of the A-6 was about to begin, it was transferred to Heinkel, but they never had a chance to make any.

And I didn't mean to stray off topic here too much, sorry about that! :lol:

Anyway, would a 3-view of the Bf109Z help in any customizations of a Bf109F kit?

Attachments

• Bf109Z_3view_1024.jpg
    Bf109Z_3view_1024.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
I've seen this drawing before from another Web site. In actuality, and I have this confirmed by one of my model club members who showed me the confirmation from one of his many reliable references, the Bf-109Z was actually built as a V prototype. It was a mating of two 109F airframes, but was destroyed in a bombing raid in 1943 before it was every flown.

Greetings, gents:

A fellow modeler from Ohio told me of a company that makes a 1/72 conversion center wing section in resin to construct the Messerschmitt Zwilling!! So I think I'll go with that and two of the Revell/Monogram G-10s in 1/72 scale. More later....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back