Bill Gates wants to buy you a plane...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

twoeagles

Senior Airman
Oct 18, 2006
Chambersburg
I have enjoyed, being very new here, the 'best and worst' discussions as well as the 'X vs Y' threads. Here is something that would pose a problem for me personally. Let's say Bill Gates wants to buy you a plane, any WW2 aircraft of your choosing and if it no longer exists, he will have it manufactured to original print and spec...You can only choose one. What would it be?
What really lights your fire more than any other aircraft. It is really very difficult.

I will start. I would have to ask for something I wouldn't tire of flying, that would be challenging but totally fun, and different enough, rare enough, to be special. Part of me wants the same Hellcat my Dad flew; another part of me wants anything Adolf Galland flew. But I would choose to have Bill give me a Hawker Tempest V. And I have never seen a real one. What would you choose?

Easy, anything that lands on water!
Albatross%20Girls.jpg

Too much maintenance FBJ. But a Martin PBM would be REAL cool!

No, how about Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon. Two engines for safety. Good load-out to take the family with you. Fantastic range and packs one hell of a punch with the hardnosed version. MGs, bombs, depth charges, torpedoes, rockets. What more could a decent family man aspire too.

[Photos not marked- Source unknown]

First one is a PBM. And man that is a close second. Bahamas in the winter...

Attachments

• Mariner.jpg
    Mariner.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 182
  • MYNV14P08_08.jpg
    MYNV14P08_08.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 184
  • pv2d007.jpg
    pv2d007.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 171
  • showimage.jpg
    showimage.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 170
That's easy... A Dehavilland Mosquito with the perspex nose canopy. Someone in New Zealand is actually building one from wood of course and the compound curves are apparently very challenging.

Beautiful thoroughbred plane that. Changed the war too.

Dont ask me why but would love to have a Bf-110, That way till I learn how fly I could at least ride along. If I new how to fly it would be a Bf-109F

Enjoy
Micdrow

You mean like this one below, Full functial and made out of wood. They dont like to fly it anymore. Wood is getting old and a rare piece of military history. From what I under stand they still do maintance on it though.

That's easy... A Dehavilland Mosquito with the perspex nose canopy. Someone in New Zealand is actually building one from wood of course and the compound curves are apparently very challenging.

Beautiful thoroughbred plane that. Changed the war too.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 297
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 275
A Vought F4U Corsair would do just fine for me.
f4u-7.gif

Just for the record, I would credit the person that took this photograph, but the origin is unknown to me.

You mean like this one below, Full functial and made out of wood. They dont like to fly it anymore. Wood is getting old and a rare piece of military history. From what I under stand they still do maintance on it though.

Oh man. Why display such a beautiful bird with full flaps!?!? Spoils the lines. Is it possibly to keep the hydraulics non-pressurized or is just a cosmetic staging choice? If the latter, a real shame. One of THE most beautiful planes EVER to have been built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back