Blenheim V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Does anyone have clear photo reference of a Blenheim V nose - particularly the starboard side where the gun pack merges up into the nose / side ? I have a good reference based on a plastic kit box art which clearly shows the features I refer to but I would like to see a photo and not just accept another artists interpretation .
I am creating a painting of this type and have created a 3D model using Joe de Marco's APM program but the plans don't explain exactly how the nose looks in that area.
Any help welcome .

Hi Neil,

I just started looking but found this photo that may be of some help.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 77
Yet another one, sorry for the grainyness and size of the photo. Best I could get for the quality of the paper. From the book Osprey Blenheim squadrons of WWII

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 80
Excellent - many thanks Micdrow. Never seen these photos anywhere before - most useful.
I've also received some Russian site three views which also help .
I think I can proceed with a high degree of confidence now.
By the way - i wonder if the location/ unit of the a/c in your first post is mentioned .
The aircraft I am portraying is a particular one flown by R. Hillary at Charterhall. I have the serial no. BA194 of 54 OTU but lack any info about the colour scheme or letter code . Weve opted for standard Drk. Earth /Green with sky underside plus Type "C" side roundels and no code letter .

Excellent - many thanks Micdrow. Never seen these photos anywhere before - most useful.
I've also received some Russian site three views which also help .
I think I can proceed with a high degree of confidence now.
By the way - i wonder if the location/ unit of the a/c in your first post is mentioned .
The aircraft I am portraying is a particular one flown by R. Hillary at Charterhall. I have the serial no. BA194 of 54 OTU but lack any info about the colour scheme or letter code . Weve opted for standard Drk. Earth /Green with sky underside plus Type "C" side roundels and no code letter .

Hi Neil,

Your welcome, sorry it doesnt say much in the caption other then it was an early Mk V and that the serial number was AZ990. Its interesting because I have alot of pictures of Mk IV but not many Mk V's. But Im still looking around so I may come up with more.

Paul

Nice work Paul; doesn't seem to be many pics around of the MkV.
Neil, the colour scheme you've gone for would be correct.

Thanks Terry,

You guys wouldnt happen to have one of these aircraft still around the UK would you. Would make some great shots if one is near you. I know I would love to see the pictures.

Hi Micdrow,

>You guys wouldnt happen to have one of these aircraft still around the UK would you. Would make some great shots if one is near you. I know I would love to see the pictures.

Not a Blenheim V, but here it is anyway. The shots are a bit older, but the aircraft is still existent though it has crashed and been rebuilt if I followed events correctly.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• Blenheim_StTrond-2.jpg
    Blenheim_StTrond-2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 73

Attachments

• Blenheim_StTrond01-1.jpg
    Blenheim_StTrond01-1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 70
Thanks guys - always useful to see colour pics even if not Blen V.
e.g. the bare metal cowling fronts seem to vary from copper to clear in the various shots I'm referring to.

Attachments

• 13-12-2008 15;22;19.JPG
    13-12-2008 15;22;19.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 63
Hi Neil,

Thats interesting on what looks to be polished brass or copper around the leading edge of the engine cowling. I found this on the cover of the an old flying past magainze I had lying around. Take a look. It looks slick with it painted black.

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 63
Hi Neilf,

>e.g. the bare metal cowling fronts seem to vary from copper to clear in the various shots I'm referring to.

Here is a higher-resolution version of the cowl from the above picture ...

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• Blenheim_Cowl-1.jpg
    Blenheim_Cowl-1.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 44
Hi again,

and here the a higher-resolution version of the cowl from the second picture ...

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• Blenheim_Cowl-1-1.jpg
    Blenheim_Cowl-1-1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 42
Thanks MicDrow and HoHun
Yes I have that Flypast cover in my references and am planning to paint the cowlings on mine similar but maybe a bit less shiny, and a bit rougher . I believe they cowlings were of beaten copper .
Thanks for the close ups HoHun - invaluable for getting the detail right .
Here's a quick WIP - a long way to go yet in all aspects - land /sky /a/c / train/ horse drawn binder etc all to be worked on or added still. The roundels are at the moment just flat horizontal or vertical ellipses and will be curved to fit the wing and fuselage contours.

Been diverted from this one for a while but getting back into it.
Still in the very early stages of work on this .
An update attached - and a question to the experts .
We've elected to depict one minus the mid upper turret . Can anyone show if the fuselage would be smooth as I have shown - would there be a patch or step where the turret used to be?
Any advice welcome.

Attachments

• Ronup5409.jpg
    Ronup5409.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread

Back