BoB 1/48 Hurricane Decal help needed here too

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello all,

I'm looking for the Kagero book Top Colors #16 "battle of Britain part 2" Internet shop
but, apparently out of stock and impossible to find on internet.
I only need the deco of 32 Sqn Hurricane Mk.I P3144 coded GZ B in 1/48 scale... Anybody to help me ? Ready to pay or to deal.
TIA, regards
Stéph

just did a search and they do have GZ B on them see pic, you want them Steph ?

hurricane decals.jpg

Yes, it's this aircraft. The letter code is not straight and the the dimensions between the letters are not the same (sorry for my poor English language :-/ )

The letters are straight. The pic in the profile is depicting the compound curves of the fuselage, as the letters curved over the top, being so large. Code letters were never painted at an angle, and photos show them to be painted correctly. Either the artist has deliberately included an angle for effect, or mis-read photos.

I agree with Terry, The shape of code letters is the effect of the fuselage curvature. Here a few shots of the Hurricanes of the 32nd Squadron. The source - the net

601051_615290001831152_1055981066_n.jpg

537353_487714197946604_1435287605_n.jpg

32sqdn-rotol-hurricane.jpg

img024.gif

Last edited:
Kagero have definitely got it wrong - unless those decals are designed to conform easier!
In the past, I've built a 1/48th scale Airfix Hurricane, using the kit decals for 32 Sqn, and a 1/32nd scale version, hand painting the codes. Both were straight, but the curves of the fuselage make them look 'slanted' at certain angles.
I have clearer versions of the pics posted by Wojtek, plus others of 32 Sqn, and the 'slant' is definitely due to angle of view and curvature of the fuselage.
Here are a couple of profiles from the Osprey book, and the cover from the same book. Note in the latter, the different angle shows the letters straight, albeit it's 'L' and not 'B'. If the letters were slanted, this would be even more evident from this angle.

Attachments

• Hurricane profile.pdf
    680 KB · Views: 214
  • Hurricane cover.pdf
    672 KB · Views: 212
Yep with Terry.

You should notice on the Kagero sheet the three letters of the code are in-line at the bottoms.... but the first Two code letters are in-line only..... the last letter each side is Lower, somewhere around the thickness of the stroke of the bottom of the letter.

Good luck with this mate.

Hello All,

Thank you for your answer. I think I'm going to keep my decals sheet from Tally Ho and Carpena 48-78 (Colorado) and trying to do the best.
But another question: code letter read from the port side is GZ-B but read from the starboard side, GZ-B or B-GZ ? Kagero and Airfix indicate GZ-B in each case and Hasegawa (kit JT65) indicates GZ-V on the starboard and V-GZ on the port side. My project is definitively Hurricane Mk.I N2461 GZ-F flown by M. N. Crossley from May 1940 to August 1940.
Thanks, regards
Stéph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back