BoB Hurricane I antenna systems

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,

I knew 2 kinds of system antenna installed on Hurricane I...
This one (early one): "Pole" type aerial mast behind the cockpit and a little mast on the vertical fin with a lead between.
Hurricane_Mk_I_VY-H_of_No_85_Squadron_RAF_stands_at_readiness_at_Lille-Seclin_1940.jpg

And the "standard" system: aerial mast fitted with lead from top into fuselage at base, and from top to top of the vertical fin, on the little mast.
PO_Lewis_of_No_85_Squadron_and_his_Hurricane_P2923_VY-R_Castle_Camps_July_1940.jpg

But I noticed this system without, apparently no aerial lead and no little mast on the vertical fin...
257-Burma-Sqn-Take-Off.jpg

Hurricane-Mk-I-of-Squadron-Leader-Robert-Stanford-Tuck.jpg

urricane_Mk_I_P3522_of_No_32_Squadron_flown_by_PO_Rupert_Smythe_taxying_at_Hawkinge_29_July_1940.jpg

Is this system the one with aerial leads fitted from tips of each tailplane to lead-in at mid-fuselage (IFF system) ?

TIA, cheers
Steph

The first shot seems to shows the early T.R.9B antenna system. The second pic presents the T.R.9D one. The third image and the next ones show the TR 1133 VHF radio-set.. The TR 1133 had the lead antenna running from each of tailplane to the fuselage sides, IIRC.

The early 'pole' type mast for the TR9 series radios could still be seen as late as October 1940 on some Hurricanes (and Spitfires).
The later style mast deleted the triangular 'tab' for the wire, along with the small mast on the fin, when the VHF radio started to be fitted around late August/early September, first to aircraft based in the south of England. Reference photos of a particular subject and date should show which system was fitted.
The wires from the tail planes to the fuselage were for the IFF.

Agreed, Terry. My "pre-May 1940" comment was based solely on the absence of a fin flash. I fully accept that the early radios lingered for some considerable time, and were seen on both fabric and metal-winged Hurricanes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back