Radio Antenna Wire Size

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bigmerle

Airman
Dec 17, 2018
What diameter and material would the radio antenna wire have been on a twin engine aircraft (B-25, A-20, B-26 ect. Specifically used with AN-274N radio set. Single strand or braided?

Thank you for the recommendation CV. I don't recall seeing this bright copper color on any of the Warbirds I've seen. Would antennas originally been this copper color then fade or tarnish over time? Thinking of an indoor static.

I don't know if W-106A was coated or not. I do know that it doesn't take long for it to develop a patina. I've searched for a spool of either W106 or W106A for one of my projects, but haven't had any success in the 4 years I've been looking. Several fairly knowledgeable people have told me that Copperweld is electrically and strength wise close enough for my use.

BTW, one slight correction, it should be 14 gauge and not 18. Had 18 on my mind for some other work going on.

Here's a B-29 engineering drawing that calls out all of the antenna lengths. Flag note 1 covers the wire to be used and who could supply it.

Attachments

• antenna wire.pdf
    951.9 KB · Views: 247
My father was an SAC in RAF prior to war. He had several reels of the copper wire used, all of it was covered with dark brown shellac. Knowing how much oily sooty fumes came out of the engines, it wouldn't take long for the sticky coating to develop and hold the dirt on the wire. R/T ops used to ask for the wire to be wiped during maintenance, just to give them a sporting chance of receiving signals, remember it was all done in morse on bombers initially, spoken R/T was reserved for the fighters, being single seat in most cases.

Inside the aircraft the HF antenna wire was insulated with tiny ceramic "cups" that had a hole through the middle, like doll house cereal bowls stacked one atop the other. This gave the wire the appearance of being thick white wire.

Inside the aircraft the HF antenna wire was insulated with tiny ceramic "cups" that had a hole through the middle, like doll house cereal bowls stacked one atop the other. This gave the wire the appearance of being thick white wire.
AKA....Fish Spine Beads...There were several variations of them, with the IN-83 being the predominate one used in short runs.
The same style insulator is still used to today, but mainly in the instrumentation world for high temp thermocouple wiring protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back