Boeing B-47E

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3 said:
six J35 engines are always louder than one harrier.

They were very loud esp with a JATO takeoff.

Just a note, my Dad's favorite plane to this day is the B-47 and he's one of the very few who lived through a B-47 crash (in '55). Things happened so fast in a B-47 that only a few crews got out of accidents alive. There are stories of B-47s rolling and even one that did a loop. Radical maneuvers like that were greatly discouraged because the heavy electronic systems used at that time were at best damaged and sometimes came loose from the racks when they were done.

wmaxt

One thing about the accoustics of the early jet engines is the turbine whine at idle. High pitched and high decibel.

At Chino one year, they had the F86 and Mig-15 warm up on the apron in front of the crowd, and i think more than a few people had to move away cause of that "whine".

The past couple of years, I really didnt notice it with the F18 and F16.

But then it might be because I have gone deaf! :lol:

It may be a childhood memory (which are not always reliable) but the loudest thing I ever heard was a formation of 9 Lightnings climbing away on full reheat - that's 18 Rolls-Royce engines kicking out 16,000lb of thrust each...

That must have been ear-drum breaking.

A Harrier in hover is loud (at least up to the crash/boom...sorry, I couldn't resist).

But the old pure turbo-jets were simply ear splitting, pumping out huge amounts of decibles and black smoke.

VERY COOL!!!

We have an entire flightline worth of B-52s here at Barksdale, and I can assure you that it would take many B-52s to make as much noise as one Harrier in a hover!!!

btw, Tornados are not as loud as other twin-jet fighters, like the F-4 and Lightning. We had the F-15, -16, Tornado, and some french POS I can't remember, delta-wing, in Saudi in '97, and the 15 was loudest, 16 next loudest but shortest takeoff, and the Tornado made almost as much noise as the -15, but took forever to accelerate... The french plane was just plain gay...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back