2Lt Gerald Brown A36 KIA 25 October 1943, Attigliano, Italy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BrownAW

Airman
Feb 2, 2022
My uncle Gerald "Red" Brown, was returning from a mission (10/25/43) and with the wing man strafed a train that turned out to be an explosives carrier. The plane was consumed by the massive explosion. Only a pocket watch and uniform insignia were sent home. I have those items. My brother and I will be in Attigliano, Italy to honor the 80th year of that tragedy. His unit was the 86 FBG, 527 FBSq. Home field at that time was Pomigliano. He is interred at the Florence American Cemetery. ( book avail. On 86 Fighter Group by Steve Luce)
His medals were;
the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross w/4 clusters and the Purple Heart.
the model is accurate to all available info, the patch is the 86 FBG, 527 FBSw. and his watch. (It runs, face shoes crash damage)

IMG_1381.jpeg

Hello. I salute your Uncle. I also had an uncle flying B 25's at the same time in Italy. Luckily he made it through the war. Very nice model. I am a very old modeler, 86, but concentrated my modeling on American and British aircraft in WW2. I especially researched paint jobs and markings. Remembering that my old noggin ain't what it used to be, please bear with me. Those roundels you have on the P51 seem to me to be the ones used prior to mid 1943. At that time, I believe we added the bars to the roundel with a red surround. This was discontinued later, especially in the Pacific area. I have an entire library on Allied aircraft markings, no Google in those days, and I can go back and get the specifics. Of course, a lot of squadrons were probably very slow in getting the markings on their aircraft changed, considering how busy they were in that theater. This could be the case. Again,, a sincere salute to your Uncle from a very old Army Aviator.

14B

My uncle Gerald "Red" Brown, was returning from a mission (10/25/43) and with the wing man strafed a train that turned out to be an explosives carrier. The plane was consumed by the massive explosion. Only a pocket watch and uniform insignia were sent home. I have those items. My brother and I will be in Attigliano, Italy to honor the 80th year of that tragedy. His unit was the 86 FBG, 527 FBSq. Home field at that time was Pomigliano. He is interred at the Florence American Cemetery. ( book avail. On 86 Fighter Group by Steve Luce)
His medals were;
the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross w/4 clusters and the Purple Heart.
the model is accurate to all available info, the patch is the 86 FBG, 527 FBSw. and his watch. (It runs, face shoes crash damage)

View attachment 739763
Hi,

I salute your uncle.
I'm usually reading this forum but I am a bit shy when It comes the time to write (I'm not particularly confident in my english language)... today I must do and exception😅

I found the story really interesting, and since I'm not too far from Attigliano I'm thinking to make a quick visit.
Is yours just a private, family trip or Is there any "public" celebration, maybe with the city council of Attigliano?

Cheers 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back