Boomerang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

here's one of my favourite lancaster quotes

"The lancaster is a lady, and for that reason is never described as "it" but always as "she". No empty headed glamour queen this, frivolous and shallow, but very much the grand dame, the indomitable dowager, yet with a twinkle in her eye to hint at a racy past in her younger days. Her attire is sombre, a staid dull black undersides of wings, tail and fusilage sides complemented by a tastefull camouflage scheme on top. Guns protrude from turrets in her nose, tail and half way along her upper fusilage, saying, as they said to many a german night fighter during the war "Do not trifle with me, young man!" There she sits on the ground, nose high, seemingly sniffing at the sky, eager to take once more to the element for which she was designed."

Source- Great aircraft of WWII

i love that quote, few planes had that much character..................

and she was beautiful............

Nah I dont think it looked good at all...The Stirling was the greatest looking British bomber...The Halifax Mk.I, Lancaster, and to some extent the Whitley were the Ugliest. One reason im not a fan of the lanc is the engines, inlines just dont look right on a bomber.

Nah the Mk.II is the best looking, it has radials...bombers need radials...I still think Lancasters are ugly however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back