help with info on the boomerang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I whonder theoretical what whould the performance be if the Aussies got access of the 1700hp Wright R-2600 engines from the yanks or the 1770 hp Hercules VI from the Britt instead of the old 1200hp P&W?

I whonder theoretical what whould the performance be if the Aussies got access of the 1700hp Wright R-2600 engines from the yanks or the 1770 hp Hercules VI from the Britt instead of the old 1200hp P&W?

CAC did propose 3 options to improve the Boomerangs performance. one was to fit an exhaust driven turbo cahrger to the existing engine becoming the CA-14. The CA-14 did have improved performance over the standard Boomer with a max. speed of 269mph at sea level and 348mph at 28 200ft. The rate of climb at sea level was similar to the standard Boomers at 2 150ft/m however at 28 600ft the rate of climb was 1 180ft/m which was 65% better then the standard types.
The 2nd option was to fit the R-2000 engine with cooling fan and turbo charger. This version was called the CA-14A and though built never flew because of component failures in the engine. The project was then canned.
The 3rd option was to fit the R-2600 engine however this never materialised because the Americans seemed reluctant to proved the engines.
These cancellations eventually gave way to the development of the CA-15 which is linked back to the Boomerang. See http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-requests/ca-15-a-6505.html

with the wirraway i heard that the pilots under six foot had to put blocks on the pedals!

It must be Xmas. :lol: I found this when I got home today.

Hi Graham,
I have located my copies of what are the best Boomerang drawings available
at the moment, drawn by the late Zbigniew Luranc. These cover the general
arrangement of the CA-12, CA-13 and CA-19, accurately depict the dimensions
and camouflage. There are a few notes on the drawings about minor
inaccuracies. Also included are details on camouflage and markings, colours,
engine, fuselage structure, stencil data a CAC cutaway drawing.

If you would be so kind as to forward your mailing address I shall send you
copies of the drawings.

Hopefully, I should get them next week. :thumbup:

I have just seen on e of the temora displays and the sight of the boomerang in formation with the hudson was absolutely sensational. and the sound of the boomerang on a high speed pass as it rolled over was magnificant.

did anyone come up with a set of drawings for the boomerang? if they can be shared to me, i feel the need to create :)

cheers
Craig

G'day Craig, welcome to the forum. I have been looking for decent Boomer drawings for some time now, these are the best Freebies I have found so far, enjoy.
I was going to post them in the Schematics area but.... :)

All the best.
Graham.

Attachments

• CAC Boomerang 01.jpg
    CAC Boomerang 01.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 472
  • CAC Boomerang 02.jpg
    CAC Boomerang 02.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 706
  • CAC Boomerang 03.jpg
    CAC Boomerang 03.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 880
  • CAC Boomerang 04.jpg
    CAC Boomerang 04.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 773
  • CAC Boomerang 05.jpg
    CAC Boomerang 05.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 436
  • CAC Boomerang 06.jpg
    CAC Boomerang 06.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 443
  • CAC Boomerang 07.jpg
    CAC Boomerang 07.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 766
I have just seen on e of the temora displays and the sight of the boomerang in formation with the hudson was absolutely sensational. and the sound of the boomerang on a high speed pass as it rolled over was magnificant.

did anyone come up with a set of drawings for the boomerang? if they can be shared to me, i feel the need to create :)

cheers
Craig

I was up there a few months back!

I didn't catch the air show weekend though. Worth going?
I'm considering taking a DC 3 up and back from Melbourne:D

Wow Graham they are exactly what the doctor ordered!!!!! sensational
the flying weekend at temora is just magnificant! the best airshow i have ever been to. you are able to sit basically right on the edge of the strip. the aircraft are started right infront of you ie probably no more than 15 meters away and then taxi out to take off. the display is designed to show the aircraft off well and they really do. for $15 entry fee its the best!!
the weekend my wife and i went there was a tigermoth, ryan ST1, boomerang, hudson, spitfire, avenger, cessna O2, wirraway, Meteor, vampire, canberra and dragonfly all giving displays. then after the displays were over they allowed the crowd onto the tarmac to look more closely at the aircraft.
ie you could almost touch them. absolutely outstanding!!!!
the displays were pretty similar on both days but we went for both. the boomerang and huson flying together is a unique experience as the hudson is the only flying example in the world. Hearing a spitfire start, taxi, takeoff, aerobat and land was something i will rememeber for a long time. i dont know how to post images here but

thanks again and thanks for the welcome :)

Craig

Hi there Fellas i dont know if you are still interested but there is a company in OZ called kangaroo publications that carries a couple of books on the camo of the RAAF. have a look here
http://www.kookaburrapublications.com.au/

there is also a profile publications #178 on the commonwealth boomerang it is only a few pages so it is cheap. search for Francillon Rene J. the commonwealth boomerang (profile publications #178) and you should get it.

Cheers

Craig

Hi there. Do you guys know the ABC stores here in Aus. used to sell a VHS of the Boomerang? "The Boomerang Story" was made in 1994 and details it's history, interviews with Boomerang Pilots, and reconstruction/restoration. It also has footage of Guido Zacculi?? restored "MH Y" Boomerang.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back