Brass nut from WW2 Halifax W1020

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mauser4me

Recruit
May 24, 2020
Hello, I made an account here specifically to ask about a part I found back in 2016. I will throw some photos in here to assist in hopefully identifying this part.

It is solid brass, has lockwire holes, and looks like it may have a insert for a long-gone o-ring. It has a part number on it (I highly doubt it is a serial number) of E38774.

It is from a WW2 bomber; Halifax W1020, assigned to 35th Squadron of the RAF. Shot down April 4th 1942 while on a bombing mission to attack the Tirpitz german battleship. I have no idea what part of the plane this would have come from but I want to guess it is from a hydraulic system because of the (suspected) o-ring insert and because the threading doesn't go all the way through the nut, so it seems like it may have held a hose to some other component.

The story of why I have it is that my grandfather lived in Trondheim, Norway, just a few miles from where the Tirpitz was stationed for part of the war. He was in his early teens during the war and when the british came to bomb the Tirpitz, his family had to hide in the cellar of their farmhouse because german anti-aircraft fire was hitting all around their house. Anyways it was during one of these bombing raids that this plane was shot down. I went to Norway in 2016 and saw where it all happened, and came across the crash site. My cousin had picked up a big hunk of dirt she kicked up that was round-looking. I brushed it off a bit and when I saw the brass I knew it was from the plane. I took it home to the US and cleaned it up as best I could. Anyways I've had it ever since and was just curious if someone could shed light on what I have.

Thank you in advance.

IMG_9678.JPG
IMG_9679.JPG
IMG_9680.JPG
IMG_9681.JPG
IMG_9682.JPG
IMG_9683.JPG
IMG_9684.JPG

Very Nice Piece, thanks for posting it. My first impression is it was a pushrod cover retaining nut, but that can't be correct if it did indeed come from a Halifax. As they would be more commonly used on Radial engines, except for Bristol Hercules used on Halifax Bombers are sleeve valve engines without pushrods. So my first thought it wrong.
After looking at it more closely I think it may be an ignition lead retaining nut. It would secure the Ignition wire to the Spark Plug.

Just a thought. I am not saying that is what it definatly is. Good luck finding out for sure what it is! I hope someone with more knowledge than I will ID it for you.

Based on my limited experience with Mosquito parts, I would suggest that your stamp E38774, if of British origin, corresponds to a designer's drawing number with the 'E' standing for the location of the part and the '38' corresponding to the airframe type. Mosquitos use '98' as the airframe type and, as far as I know, the Halifax uses '57'. I don't have a match for '38'.

That said, if you are absolutely sure that it is from a Halifax, then contacting someone with access to Halifax drawings or a Parts Manual will get you close to the identification of the part. The drawing will show your nut in enough detail to enable someone to make it. The drawing should also have a note saying "assembled on..." or something to that effect which, if you can get hold of the drawing that is referenced, will give you confirmation of what parts your nut connected.

Looking at your pictures, the nut looks to me like some kind of a hose clamp. I've also seen a similar detail on electrical connections but the O-ring would not be necessary in that case.

Sorry I can't be of more help or if this make you go off on a tangent.

What I'm trying to figure out, is how a nut became unscrewed from the other components during a crash.
Typically, parts are crushed or torn away during impact, so in theory, the male end of that connection would still be attached along with a section of hose or conduit.

That being said, the nut in the photos appear to be similar to the ones on a Merlin, on the supply line between the fuel pump and the injector log - so look closely at a Hercules and see if it might be part of the fuel system.

Whatever it was originally attached to could have rusted away, I'm not sure. It is pretty much positively from the Halifax I mentioned, as the crash site has a sign for the plane. Every plane crash site I saw in Norway was marked.

If interested, there is a group of Norwegian guys that have photos for all WW2 plane crashes in Norway and the frequent the sites and update them as to their condition and what remains. Here is the link to their site as it pertains to this crash: Halifax Borås Okkelberg

Graugeist is onto something and it gave me the idea to look up the part number in my Merlin 66 IPC. It is indeed there:

Capture.JPG

It is part of the cylinder head/cover group of parts but I could not find it exactly where on the diagrams provided. Though the Merlin 66 is a later engine, it's likely that such simple parts could have been legacy parts from earlier designs.

So, if you are sure that the part is from a Halifax, then it seems that what you have there is a gland nut from one of the cylinder heads of a Merlin powered Halifax.

Holy cow I couldn't be happier that you found out exactly what it is. I dug around the internet for a while when I first got the part cleaned up and found the part number on it. Not suprisingly I couldn't find anything. If anyone here has exposure to a merlin engine, it would be awesome to see a picture of one of these nuts installed.

And about the Halifax question; being that this nut was dug up by my cousin at a marked and known Halifax crash site, I find it incredibly incredibly unlikely that it would have come off of any other plane. I wish I had photos of how it was handed to me, covered in dirt and coated in a thick layer of green brass rust. It definetly looked the part of having been laying in the dirt from 1942-2016.

Couldn't thank you enough guys. Now I can appreciate this piece a whole lot more.

You're very welcome. The only thing bugging me is that I can't find the call-out of the part in the illustrations in the manual. EDIT: SEE BELOW. Note that it's a one-off for quantity. I'll do a bit more digging and see if I can find it as I have access to several different Merlins. It may take me a while so check back in one or two weeks.

Last edited:
I figured out the associated diagram now and your part is circled in red. Maybe someone used to British engine terminology can chime in but the term "hotspot" MIGHT refer to a temperature sensor connection. Your nut encapsulates an aluminum "hotspot blanking plug" which is item 42/48 just below the circle and the assembly fits on the back of the left (looking forward) cylinder head.

I'll take a look on the Merlins in our museum but the early ones are all Packard-built units so could be different. We also have two later RR Merlin 113/114's and if I see anything resembling your part, I'll post a photo around next Sunday so check back.

Capture2.JPG

Holy cow I couldn't be happier that you found out exactly what it is. I dug around the internet for a while when I first got the part cleaned up and found the part number on it. Not suprisingly I couldn't find anything. If anyone here has exposure to a merlin engine, it would be awesome to see a picture of one of these nuts installed.

And about the Halifax question; being that this nut was dug up by my cousin at a marked and known Halifax crash site, I find it incredibly incredibly unlikely that it would have come off of any other plane. I wish I had photos of how it was handed to me, covered in dirt and coated in a thick layer of green brass rust. It definetly looked the part of having been laying in the dirt from 1942-2016.

Couldn't thank you enough guys. Now I can appreciate this piece a whole lot more.
Hi, this is really interesting I have been researching about this flig
Hello, I made an account here specifically to ask about a part I found back in 2016. I will throw some photos in here to assist in hopefully identifying this part.

It is solid brass, has lockwire holes, and looks like it may have a insert for a long-gone o-ring. It has a part number on it (I highly doubt it is a serial number) of E38774.

It is from a WW2 bomber; Halifax W1020, assigned to 35th Squadron of the RAF. Shot down April 4th 1942 while on a bombing mission to attack the Tirpitz german battleship. I have no idea what part of the plane this would have come from but I want to guess it is from a hydraulic system because of the (suspected) o-ring insert and because the threading doesn't go all the way through the nut, so it seems like it may have held a hose to some other component.

The story of why I have it is that my grandfather lived in Trondheim, Norway, just a few miles from where the Tirpitz was stationed for part of the war. He was in his early teens during the war and when the british came to bomb the Tirpitz, his family had to hide in the cellar of their farmhouse because german anti-aircraft fire was hitting all around their house. Anyways it was during one of these bombing raids that this plane was shot down. I went to Norway in 2016 and saw where it all happened, and came across the crash site. My cousin had picked up a big hunk of dirt she kicked up that was round-looking. I brushed it off a bit and when I saw the brass I knew it was from the plane. I took it home to the US and cleaned it up as best I could. Anyways I've had it ever since and was just curious if someone could shed light on what I have.

Thank you in advance.

View attachment 596457View attachment 596458View attachment 596459View attachment 596460View attachment 596461View attachment 596462View attachment 596463
Hi, this is really interesting I've been researching the W1020 Halifax as Gerard Henry the observer was my great uncle. His brother Ken who served in bomber command was my grandfather. My grandfather was able to visit the memorial a couple of years before he passed away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back