Breda in Spain and USSR (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jan den Das

Airman
Feb 17, 2009
Hai

During my inquiry I found the information:
1 Breda Ba.64 to Spain
2.Breda Ba.64 and Ba.65 to USSR

Who can give any information concerning there history and further pictures/colors would be interresting?

Thanks
Jan

From Wiki:

Production aircraft were sent to 5° and 50° Stormos but pilots considered them ill-equipped to undertake missions as a bomber or fighter. The faults including being underpowered, heavy handling characteristics and a tendency to enter high-speed stalls that led to a number of fatal crashes. After limited use in front-line service, the Ba.64s were relegated to second-line duties although a small number survived until March 1943.

Two Ba.64s were exported by the Soviet Union in 1938 while a single example saw brief service in June 1937 during the Spanish Civil War with Nationalist forces in the Aviazione Legionaria.

Breda_64_monoplano.jpg

The Soviets never had a Ba.65. This was originally reported via Wiki but it was actually one of the ones from Chile.

In regards to Russian Ba.64 I cannot find this in any of my books, only the internet. During this time the Soviets were buying a number of aircraft from foreign nations to evaluate so it is possible.

According to Aircraft of the Spanish Civil War by Gerald Howson, the USSR purchased two Breda 64s in 1938, but nothing more is added. One Ba 64 arrived in Spain in 1937 with the Aviazione Legionara from Italy in June 1937 and it received the military serial 8-1, but no more is said about that either - similar info to what Greg has already posted. There is quite a bit of information on the Breda 65 in Spain, a total of 23 were sent and 12 were lost, the Republicans might have shot down either three or six of them - records are conflicting; the 11 survivors entered Ejercito del Aire service after the war ended.

The cockpit is extraordinarily far forward, towards the engine, compared to most WW2 designs and even WW1 designs. I imagine it assisted visibility to some degree. What designe factors drove this?

it wouldn't be smart to use a non-removable weight ( pilot) to counterbalance removable weight ( bombs).

Bombs are usually carried as close to the c/g as possible, so you don't have a large c/g change when they're dropped.

What designe factors drove this?

Probably visibility, as you mentioned, Koopernic. It had a rather stalky undercarriage, which might have necessitated the close proximity of the cockpit to the nose. Note that it is roughly in line with the wing leading edge. The 65 had space for a second cockpit aft of the pilot's. The Ba 64 had a similar forward cockpit layout, and it was designed as a fighter/light bomber/attack aircraft. Nice and warm for the pilot flying in a Mediterranean environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back