Brendan "Paddy" Finucane, RAF #2 Ace....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Les-thanks for posting the very interesting narrative of Finucane's life and career. I have been fascinated by his achievements, but I did not realize how young he was and that he was able to reach the position of Wing Commander, both of which only enhance his reputation.

I discovered Les's account while trying to understand more accurately the details of his demise. I had read in other sources that as his Spitfire approached the Channel surface, Finucane radioed, "This is it, lads". Is this account true? If so, I've wondered if Finucane meant that he expected not to survive. I've also read 1-2 accounts of other fighters ditching at sea and sinking immediately before their pilots could get out. Were most WWII aircraft ditchings at sea "successful", meaning that the aircrew were able to get out and float in their lifevests or dinghies long enough to be rescued? Or did aircraft ditchings carry a high rate of aircrew being trapped in their sinking aircraft? In my questions, I'm presuming the aircraft was controllable and intact enough to "land" on the water reasonably well. I've wondered if Finucane would have had a better chance of survival if he had bailed out rather than ditching. I know data on this may be sparse and only anecdotal, but does anyone know if ditchings had a higher rate of survivability than bailing out over open, deep water? Les's account speculates that Finucane was knocked unconscious by his gunsight, consequently entombing him in his sinking fighter, which naturally suggests that Finucane had expected to get out of his stricken Spitfire before it sank.

Thanks,
PG

An engagement of a totally different sort however was announced in April when Jean Woolford, a girl Brendan had known for several years, agreed to marry him. They were a very close and loving couple according to those who knew them

An interesting note, that. I believe that relationships were often discouraged by senior officers. There are apparently a lot of examples of young pilots becoming engaged, and then being killed.

The theory was that like most young men they had nothing to lose and would be more reckless in battle, which of course can get one killed.

However, the effect of forming a romantic relationship meant they became more cautious during battle (and presumably flying in general), ironically this got a lot of them killed.

I have read of this phenomenon and seen it discussed in documentaries (including one about the Battle of Britain), but I have no hard evidence of this at present

Mike

Hi all, enjoyed the article very much. Paddy Finucane was an true hero, he inspired all who flew with him, its amazing what he achieved in such a short time. My Grandparents lived about 5mins from where Brendan's (Paddy's) family lived in Dublin. His achievements with the RAF were always followed with a great sense of pride.That book by Doug Stokes "Paddy Finucane Fighter Ace" is a fantastic read highly recommended. Paddy was also one of the few who came off the better after tangling with Adolf Galland shooting his plane up over the Channel midway through his "Lobster Flight" April '41 . here is a link for a great radio doc that was made about Paddy by RTE in Dublin. RTÉ.ie Radio 1: Documentary on One - In Search of 'Paddy' Finucane. Enjoy..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back