BREWSTER BUFFALO - 805 SQUADRON N.A.S. CRETE

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
New to me as I was totally unaware that the British flew these anywhere else but the Far East.

1576954903406.png

PUBLIC DOMAIN
Caption reads, "A German Junkers Ju 52/3m transport comes in for landing on a an airfield on Crete, probably at Maleme. In the foreground is one of three Royal Navy Brewster 339B Buffaloes (AS419, AS420, AX814) of 805 Naval Air Squadron that were left unservicable on Crete. Brewster Buffalo wreck No AS419 of 805 Squadron in Malleme airport Crete 1941 in the boneyard. Lt Rubert Brabner he crash- landed short of the airfield, and the Brewster flipped over on its back, fortunately without injury to the MP"

805 Sqn flew them in North Africa and a detachment of 3 airframes was sent to Crete. The latter.didnt undertake any combat operations. Persistent issues with the gun synchronization gear limited their operational availability.

One of the 805 Sqn machines was used in a trial aboard HMS Eagle to see if these ex-Belgian could be converted back as carrier fighters. 103 MU designed and installed an arrestor hook but, clearly, the trial was not sufficiently successful.

I'd go with TLS since they were purely used as land-based fighters. Undersides were originally Sky but may have been repainted Sky Blue for operations in N Africa.

There are a few nice pics showing the Sqn nose art. If you Google "805 Squadron" and Buffalo you should find a few.

I read where a unit of volunteer American pilots in the RAF in the UK was being equipped with Buffalos. The highly experienced British squadron commander told his pilots that the Buffalos were unsuitable for combat and ordered all of his pilots to land with the tailwheel retracted in order to render the aircraft unserviceable. They were reequipped with Hurricanes, I believe.

I read where a unit of volunteer American pilots in the RAF in the UK was being equipped with Buffalos. The highly experienced British squadron commander told his pilots that the Buffalos were unsuitable for combat and ordered all of his pilots to land with the tailwheel retracted in order to render the aircraft unserviceable. They were reequipped with Hurricanes, I believe.

That was 71 (Eagle) Sqn. The CO was Sqn Ldr Churchill who ordered his pilots to land with the tailwheel unlocked, which caused the Buffalo to ground loop (the Buffalo didn't have a retractable tailwheel).

Several of Churchill's criticisms were incorrect. For example, he complained about the lack of a control spectacle as was fitted to the control columns of Hurricanes and Spitfires. No US-built fighters had this feature so singling out the Buffalo is unfair. He also claimed that a single bullet in the integral wing fuel tank would require a complete wing change but procedures were established in Singapore to repair any such damage without changing the wing.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, 71 Sqn only kept their few, ex-Belgian Buffalos for a month or so before receiving Hurricanes.

Last edited:
I note that British pilots often complained that the stick in American fighters was located too far forward. In flying my Ercoupe I usually have my left hand wrapped aorund the top of the control wheel. Control forces are light and you only need twist your wrist and forearm to apply aileron. I believe that that the "doughnut" of the RAF fighters was arranged so to enable you to do much the same thing. With US fighters that had the stick further forward you would use your whole arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back