In the weeks since posting the aerial victory table I've added to it the missing Sq. 67 RAF victories from Burma. I still need to merge them to the main 339E table. I also intend to go through the other 339E victories using my newly acquired sources and adding in any missing information or possible corrections.
I've also added an alternate table for the 239 using another source. This time the tally was 500 victories as before, but 56 damaged and 171 "verified" instead of 54 and 155 respectively. This alternate source deverified some kills from the first table while verifying others. This alternate source too is unlikely to be the final word on the question of which planes the 239s actually shot down.
On a loosely related note, I'm looking for the
Detail Specification for Model ### Airplane reports by Brewster for the various "Buffalos", save the one for the 239 which I already have. I made a post about that on this forum
here. I've tried contacting a number of individuals who I believe may have some of them, but they have not returned my messages. I've also scoured through a multitude of archive sites to see if they have them even in physical form, to no avail. I think the Smithsonian might have some and that at this point I'll just have to reach out to them and pay them to scan them for me.
What I want to do is create a table where I can compare the performance and characteristics of all the different F2A-type fighters, including the export versions. There is some performance and characteristic data on the variants in certain secondary sources, but the data there is so clearly inaccurate, particularly pertaining to aircraft weight, but also to other stuff like endurance, that it's just not usable. So I have to get my hands on the primary sources.
In my quest for said primary sources I also found this:
View attachment 890243
It's from a 1942
Luftwaffe frontline news bulletin on enemy aircraft, which can be found
here. Assuming the depicted figures are indicative of a 339E (Buffalo Mk. I), I'm wondering how correct they are.
The 302 l on both sides of the fuel tanks is either indicative of a slight drop in capacity from 606 l to 604 l from the Linatex and horseshoe leather the Brits coated the fuel tanks on the 339E with, or it's just a mistake.
America's Hundred-Thousand (AHT) mentions the armoured glass on the 339E as having been 1.5" thick which translates to 38.1 mm, not 41.28 mm. Perhaps the 1.5" given in AHT was a ballpark figure? It is worth mentioning that the Germans captured at least one 339B airframe at Crete in 1941. It is known that the Brits made modifications to the 339B. Perhaps the armour figures come from there? At any rate this image is the only source I've seen thus far that indicates the position and thickness of the armour applied to the fuselage of the 339E. AHT also mentions a section of armour on both sides of the fuselage behind the pilot, which is not displayed in the above image. Interestingly the top-down image seems to indicate armoured glass above the pilot as well.
What's also interesting is that the bulletin claims the American manufacturer's (i.e. Brewster's) designation for the aircraft is
Brewster 439. This is almost certainly incorrect, but it is the earliest use I've seen of the likely non-existent "Model 439". I've seen a similar German wartime report call Finnish Brewsters 339s and F2A-2s; these sorts of inaccuracies on designations in reports on foreign-used equipment is nothing out of the ordinary.
Here's another interesting little tidbit, more on the trivial side, that I came across in the 1943
United States-British Glossary of Aeronautical and Related Nomenclature, references to the 339B as the Buffalo (Mk.) II and III:
View attachment 890244