British experimentals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here a hypothetical picture of an eventual planned DE HAVILLAND DH.98 MOSQUITO whit 4 engines.

Hello Grampa,

That looks interesting. If the fuselage would not have been altered extremely, what would have been the advantage in respect to flight aspects? Any data's on this 4 mot Mossy?

Regards
Kruska

The F.5/34 project had relatively little in common with the Gladiator (the canopy and engine mainly), by comparison the Hurricane was a lot closer to the Fury. (both in terms of construction and apearance -the fusalage and tail bing very similar)

Thats the Zero-a-like.

The F.5/34 project was far too late and the Hurricane and Spitfire were two years ahead.

Would have been outclassed by the Bf 109 anyway.

It needed a more powerful engine too. (a Pegasus or Taurus, possibly a Hurcules later on) It's development was a bit delayed by Gloster's preoccupation with the Gladiator. But considdering what the performance it did manage it seemed fairly promising. Perhaps as a back-up to supplement the merlin engined fighters, for overseas use, of with the FAA. (which desperately needed a decent carrier based fighter)

One thing to note though, the aileron response and roll rate was verry good on the a/c and retained it much better at high speeds than the Spit or Hurricane. (almost as well as the P-40) And it had a significantly larger wing area than either the Spitfire or Hurricane and thus lower wingloading. Both of these factors leading to an even more maneuverable fighter than the other two.
And considdering the large wing, there was probably a good deal of space for increased fuel or armament. (also, while much thicker than the Spitfire's wing, it was still a fair bit thinner than the Hurricane's and used the same type of NACA 2200 series airfoil as the P-40, Spitfire, and several other cotemporaries, opposed to the Clark YH airfoil of the Hurricane)

And visibility would be very good with the same bubble-like canopy as the Gladiator.

How about this prodject?

Attachments

• bwpa_spitfireIXtwin.jpg
    bwpa_spitfireIXtwin.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 114
I really liked those sea-plane designs on the first page. I've always wondered how to make one of those more aerodynamic, I never thought of have the center pontoon retract. I wonder how heavy it would be and how sturdy it would be.

Coupled Spitfires... I have never heard of that

The true about this picture is that it's fake...the design of this plane is veary intresting.

There have been twin Mustangs and twin 109's...guess it's only logical that a twin spitfire comes out of imagination. Now all I'm waiting for is the twin zero variant- or something a little more feasible...maybe a twin H-4! :lol:

Parsifal,

"Very intersting....what was the theoretical advantage of the canard layout????"

I am not sure if the these thoughts were held when that bomber was designed but modern theory is that a canard winged aircraft can never stall. The theory is that if the canards are set at a higher angle of incidence than the main planes the canards will stall before in the main planes in the event of the angle of attack reaching stall. When the canards stall, the nose drops, thus reducing the AoA on the main planes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back