British gyro gun sight Mk 5A? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

twoeagles

Senior Airman
Oct 18, 2006
Chambersburg
I have had sitting in a musty box for several years a British Mk 5A gyroscopic gun sight, planning at some point to do a good model of the aircraft from which it originated and mounting them together. Trouble is, I can find no Mk 5 references, and I am only guessing it is from a late model Spitfire such as a Mk 21 or FR 46, and maybe even an early British jet, but as I said, I am guessing. Part of me wishes, naturally, that it is from a Spit. Anyway, attached are two photo's, and if any of the members can help give a more positive ID, I would be most grateful.

Tom

Attachments

• Mk 5A.JPG
    Mk 5A.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 940
  • Mk 5A_2.JPG
    Mk 5A_2.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 861
Hello Twoeagles.

The Mk5A was a post war development and was installed in early RAF Meteors and Vampires. The unit received signals from the aircraft radar (where installed) and gave automatic control of the range to target.

From your picture, I see that the silica gel dessicator is 'pink' which indicates moisture. Silca gel used in RAF instruments was ''blue' when activated and dry.

regards,

Peter

What units do the range ticks register? That can't be yards or meters, can it??? The high range there would be just over 160 yards, and planes of that time might fire out to 500 with a fairly realistic chance of connecting. In fact, wasn't about 250 to 300 meters/yards seen as something of a sweet spot for gunnery at that time?

Hmmm...looking at it now maybe it's yards/meters x10. That would give it a 250 to 1600 yard range, which makes much more sense.

Thank you both for the insights! Not many around apparently who remember
this Mk....Not much info out there. Might it have seen service in the
the Supermarine Attacker?

I don't know about that plane, but I'm doing a 3D model of the Gloster Meteor, and those photos are proving invaluable! I'm improving the gunsight model as we speak!!!

What units do the range ticks register? That can't be yards or meters, can it??? The high range there would be just over 160 yards, and planes of that time might fire out to 500 with a fairly realistic chance of connecting. In fact, wasn't about 250 to 300 meters/yards seen as something of a sweet spot for gunnery at that time?

Hmmm...looking at it now maybe it's yards/meters x10. That would give it a 250 to 1600 yard range, which makes much more sense.
That is the wingspan control, see:
Navy Mk. 18 Gun Sight Fig 4 In this case it covers 120 to 30 Ft. I wonder what plane has a 160 Ft wingspan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back