Brother Blackwell - A-36 Apache pilot

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Schweik

Banned
Mar 15, 2018
I have an eccentric and very intelligent buddy who is something of a mad scientist who lives out in a very rough part of town, where he makes (to me) uncanny devices such as Tesla coils, hovercrafts, flame organs and other odd but impressive machines. My mad scientist friend knows I am a history buff, so to speak, and that I have an interest in WW2, so he occasionally passes on relics related to these subjects.

The most recent such historical relic was a collection of papers, a book, and a flying cap from a WW2 dive bomber or fighter bomber pilot who was a family friend that he knew as 'Brother Blackwell'. Apparently brother Blackwell, whose full name was Gilbert Alonzo Blackwell, either has no next of kin who are still around or they have lost touch. My friend ended up with his war memorabilia, which has temporarily been entrusted to me. We are going to look for family (I already tried but failed to find the daughter mentioned in the book) and failing that, donate it to a local museum which specializes in WW2 history.

In the meantime, I have taken photos of fifteen pages of the book, which cover his active career flying missions in the A-36a 'Apache' in Italy. During his flying career 'Brother Blackwell was awarded the DFC, the Air medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters, the Purple Heart with one Oak Leaf Cluster, the POW Medal, the American Campaign medal, the European-African-Middle Eastern Medal with two bronze campaign stars, and the Individual Decoration of the Distinguished Unit Citation.

Aside from these fifteen pages, the rest of the book covers his training and early military experiences, and his captivity by the Germans after being shot down, (a brutal experience in which he lost his leg which he wounded while bailing out when he was shot down over enemy lines), and then some of his long and painful postwar recovery, along with a lot of military records. This was all compiled into a nicely bound hardback book of 167 pages.

These fifteen pages, fourteen of interview transcripts, which I thought would be of interest here are going to appear in the next five posts. A lot of this basically corroborates what I had already read about how the A-36 was used in Italy, but there are some interesting details as there always are with primary sources. Hopefully some people here may find this useful or interesting. The images are not super clear as they were taken with a phone, but are hopefully legible. Anyone with any questions feel free to ask.

IMG_20210811_155824008.jpg

Last edited:
Some of the details I found interesting were related to the fiendish cleverness of the war-fighters, all around. Such as how the Germans would shoot colored smoke all over when they were trying to mark targets, or the way the A-36 pilots dropped bombs on the top of a hill to roll down onto German troops climbing up.

The sheer peril of it all is always striking in these kinds of narratives. A-36 pilots had some of the toughest jobs in the war due to the efficacy of the heavy German flak particularly in the tricky Italian terrain. These guys had to adapt in many ways, such as their unique nap of the earth flying formation, with each pilot scanning in a different assigned direction, to how they lined up their bomb runs. One mistake and you were toast.

And I also found it interesting that he said they made an effort to avoid harming the Italian (presumed) forced-labor or not attacking train cars marked with the red cross. I'm not sure all pilots did this all the time, but it's impressive that they apparently did in Brother Blackwell's unit, in spite of all the extreme risks they were undergoing.

Overall, I have long believed that the A-36 is somewhat underrated as a dive bomber. They may have had a design flaw in not being able to take the stress, or those airframes may have just gotten worn out doing it (this also happened to P-47s, P-40s, etc. just doing regular shallow angle dive bombing). But that aircraft had some pretty unique capabilities and I think they were able to carry out highly perilous strikes with those planes that I'm not sure any other could have quite managed as well.

I didn't know they used the Vengeance on New Guinea, that's interesting. When was that? I'm a big fan of dive bombers so always interested in that plane as well...
The RAAF sent 4 squadrons to New Guinea. The first strike was conducted against a bridge at Bogadjim on 7 Sep 43 (24 sqn) and the last against Japanese positions at Rempi village on 8 Mar 44. They were only used briefly before being ordered out of the theatre by USAAF high command.

I wonder why they did that? Couldn't be any worse than A-24s etc. I imagine it could have been helpful.

Some of the details I found interesting were related to the fiendish cleverness of the war-fighters, all around. Such as how the Germans would shoot colored smoke all over when they were trying to mark targets, or the way the A-36 pilots dropped bombs on the top of a hill to roll down onto German troops climbing up.
Hi
A similar activity was also undertaken during WW1 when Germans would light the same coloured ground flares to try and confuse ground situation from observing Contact aeroplanes, although other methods would be used alongside the flares, so not always successful.

Mike

I didn't know they used the Vengeance on New Guinea, that's interesting. When was that? I'm a big fan of dive bombers so always interested in that plane as well...
Hi
The Vengeance was also used in Burma, mentioned here in Air Publication 3235 'Air Support' pages 127-128 during the Second Arakan Campaign December 1943-May 1944. Last paragraph deals with the 'solution' to Japanese diversionary smoke:
WW1acdpec125.jpg

WW1acdpec126.jpg

Mike

Thanks, I once read a report about the Vengeance in Burma, and it sounds like they did pretty well with them there. I don't get why they pulled them out of Guadalcanal, unless they were too vulnerable to Japanese fighters? The US seems to have a tendency to sideline the ANZAC forces somewhat in the Pacific campaign, some of which may have had to do with the personalities of some of the leadership.

S Schweik thanks for sharing. Quite interesting. One thing that I never heard before was that they usted A-20 Havoc in a FB group.
Probably the squadron hack. The 27th Bomb Group (Light), after being reconstituted in the US after the original unit had been lost in the Phillippines, was equipped with A-20s before being reorganized as an FB group in North Africa with A-36s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back