CAC Boomerang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
Bougainville salvage dump

CAC Boomerang_01_Bougainville.jpg

Here's one of my all-time favourite air-to-air photos. It shows Flt Lt Alf Clare at the controls of Boomerang A46-126, BF-S, "Sinbad", over Queensland in 1944. Clare was one heck of a fighter pilot, who is credited with 5 victories flying Buffalos with 453 Sqn over Malaya/Singapore. Pre-war he'd been an omnibus driver and was quite old to be a fighter pilot - he was 31 at the time of the Japanese attack on Malaya.

1622293726111.png

Here's one of my all-time favourite air-to-air photos. It shows Flt Lt Alf Clare at the controls of Boomerang A46-126, BF-S, "Sinbad", over Queensland in 1944. Clare was one heck of a fighter pilot, who is credited with 5 victories flying Buffalos with 453 Sqn over Malaya/Singapore. Pre-war he'd been an omnibus driver and was quite old to be a fighter pilot - he was 31 at the time of the Japanese attack on Malaya.

View attachment 625304
That's a pretty impressive record, making ace in a Buffalo in that theatre. Did he survive the war?

That's a pretty impressive record, making ace in a Buffalo in that theatre. Did he survive the war?

Yes he survived the war but, sadly, his eyesight started failing and he died very young in 1965. I have a letter from one of his 453 Sqn colleagues who stated that "Alf was a mighty bloke." I don't think there's much higher praise that one Aussie can bestow on another.

Last edited:

View attachment 648553

That's another great pic of Alf Clare in his Boomerang. It's from the same series of pics as the vertical shot I posted earlier in the thread.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back