can anyone ID this airplane for me

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

airtaxi2006

Recruit
Dec 19, 2009
can anyone ID this airplane for me
2.jpg

can you ID this airplane?
worlds-biggest-airplanes-huge-aviation-004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's a CGI image based on the Kalinin K-7 which was actually built in 1933. They flew it a number of times but it was barely airworthy.

If I remember right, they built a modified version, but it too had serious issues and crashed, killing everyone on board.

Joe Stalin canceled the project and had Kalinin arrested and executed for some reason. I think it was espionage...

I fail to see how it could have gotten off the ground, let alone fire that unlikely weapons complement.
It pays no regard to aerodynamic form, has undercarriage like two underslung D-Day landing craft and an indoor arboretum for a crew compartment. The fuel to feed all of those engines, trying to keep that aerodynamic-as-a-barn deadweight in the air, would be a massive concern.
The Luftwaffe would likely have been uncertain whether to shoot it down or invade it, steal the fuel and prolong their involvement in the war for a few more months.

Yeah, it really was an ungainly peice of machinery...

I went and checked up on the history of the K-7 just to be sure my facts were straight, and I was just about dead-on...aparently, Stalin had Kalinin executed for espionage AND sabotage (after his aircraft crashed 21 November 1933, killing everyone on board)...

There's only a couple of photos of the K-7 that exists, so it's extremely rare.

Here's the specs:
Crew: 11
Capacity: 120 passengers in civilian configuration
Length: 91 ft. 10 in. (28m)
Wingspan: 173 ft. 11 in. (53m)
Height: Unknown
Wing area: 4,886.8 ft² (454 m²)
Empty weight: 53,793 lb. (24,400kg)
Loaded weight: 83,776 lb. (38,000kg)
Powerplant: 7 Mikulin AM-34F V-12 piston engines, 750 hp. (560kW) each
Maximum speed: 121 knots - 140 mph. (225km/h)
Service ceiling: 13,123 ft. (4,000m)
Wing loading: 17 lb/ft.² (84kg/m²)
Power/mass: 0.06 hp/lb. (103W/kg)
Source: Shavrov - Istoriia konstruktskii samoletov v SSSR do 1938 g.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back