Can anyone id this radial? Thanks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Edward Kelly

Recruit
Apr 8, 2021
B2370B9A-FF55-4BA6-9FDC-C37D7A8FAFAA.jpeg

Three blade corroded prop, what looks like corroded cooling fan blades behind the prop. Is it possibly a BMW 801 Series?

it looks like an 18 cylinder engine but definitely has the cooling fans which narrows it down somewhat.

Thats what i thought. Perhaps the whole setup is fake or for a movie. That bothered me skull wise.
Could also be the result of mechanics' warped sense of humor.
For example, in our shop, there was a security camera which was rarely looked by the boss. We had taken a screenshot of a ghost and placed it in front of the camera - weeks went by and we forgot about it until one day, the boss thought he'd see how things were going in the shop and opened the view in his computer.
Startled the hell out of him... :lol:

This is an odd one! I would have said, any radial with a fan on the front is a helicopter engine. Radials get most of their cooling air from the forward motion of the aircraft - very little from the prop hence helicopter engines need a fan to cool them. This engine is very Wright-ish looking and looks to me like it has fuel injection so I would have said it was a Shvetsov ASh-82V (V for Vertolet or Helicopter) BUT it has a prop on the front which looks contemporary and genuine to me. An ASh-82V has no prop driveshaft but ends in a huge clutch so there is nowhere to hang a prop in any case. However, the skull might indicate a sense of humour so maybe someone has skilfully added a prop to a helicopter engine!

Bottom line is . . . I'm confused!

This is an odd one! I would have said, any radial with a fan on the front is a helicopter engine. Radials get most of their cooling air from the forward motion of the aircraft - very little from the prop hence helicopter engines need a fan to cool them. This engine is very Wright-ish looking and looks to me like it has fuel injection so I would have said it was a Shvetsov ASh-82V (V for Vertolet or Helicopter) BUT it has a prop on the front which looks contemporary and genuine to me. An ASh-82V has no prop driveshaft but ends in a huge clutch so there is nowhere to hang a prop in any case. However, the skull might indicate a sense of humour so maybe someone has skilfully added a prop to a helicopter engine!

Possibly a Homare Ha51-01. Seems only 4 were built.

Several Nakajima engines (Ha-42, for example) had a cooling fan as did the BMW801.

The radial pictured does look like a Japanese type, but it's badly weathered and the cooling fan had more blades than most, so it's hard to tell.

As far as the Ha-51, only four were ever built and all were scrapped after testing by the US military.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back